Placing Wireless Router Behind Router From Isp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by emjaydee04, Feb 17, 2017.

1. emjaydee04

emjaydee04 Private E-2

I have placed a second router behind the router supplied by my ISP to gain wireless access. Ive done this as a matter of principle because my ISP wants to charge a monthly fee for clicking a button to enable the wireless function already built in to the router they supplied. I'm fairly tech savvy and already had a wireless router available to use, I even managed to gain remote access to my security cameras that were connected to the second router, and all my wireless devices can connect and use the internet.

Yesterday I upgraded the speed of my service and a tech installed a new router. I connected everything the same way, ethernet cable from LAN port on first router to INTERNET/WAN port on second. My devices connect and have internet access through the second router, but I can't get access to my security cameras remotely. I can't remember if I'd forwarded a port on the first router in the original setup in order to get in to the second router, but I know I wouldn't have done much more than that.

Can anyone offer suggestions on how to remotely access my security cameras connected to the second router?

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

On your second - wireless router what is the external ip? Guessing it is getting it's IP from the cable modem. You need to put the cable modem in "bridge" mode, that way it will let the second router get an external IP and get rid of the double NATting you have likely have now.
    So google bridge what ever model modem you have

3. emjaydee04

emjaydee04 Private E-2

Thank you, I believe i did that with the original setup and could not, for the life of me, remember what i'd done and I couldn't think of a good phrase to google what I was trying to accomplish. Should've waited for the coffee to kick in.

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

If me, I would return your ISP's "residential gateway" device (which I assume is an integrated modem, router, wireless access point, and 4-port switch) and buy your own device. Yes, it will cost you more today, but you will own and control it - not your ISP. And because you will no longer be paying rent on their device, it will be cheaper in the long run.

My personal preference is to use a separate modem and "wireless router" instead of a fully integrated residential gateway device.

Contrary to what your ISP may want you to believe, you do not have to rent from them - at least not in the US.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds