Playing old games on XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by jefflbi, Aug 31, 2009.

1. jefflbi

jefflbi Private First Class

Over the years I've collected some games that I've never gotten around to playing or feel like playing again, but it appears that XP is not as friendly with some of them. I know there is a compatibility mode selection in XP. Would I select that for the installation exe, or the exe that actually runs the game, or maybe both? Is there a checklist of things to try before resorting to using an imulator?? Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Ya, you could try compat mode but very few DOS games, if any, worked for me in XP, I can't recall. DOSBox and DroptoDOS are good. Easy to install and use.

3. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

I use DoxBox myself and here's a good walkthrough on how to set up and use it: Click!

Hope that helps!

4. jefflbi

Thanks for the replies! I tried Dosbox and really didn't care for all the commands I have to input. I'd like something a little more user friendly. I was never that good at DOS. I'm gonna try the droptodos next. Be nice of there was an affordable vmware type of thing to just have an easy access to Win98. That would solve a multitude of problems.

5. augiedoggie

Well, you could try VirtualBox but that's even way more involvement than DosBox if you have the disk and have a decently powered system to run a virtual machine. Takes a while to read the FAQ and set it up but once done will always be there when you want it.

6. jefflbi

DropToDOS seemed to work a little easier, no mounting. Had a little fun with one old game and then felt like trying another, an old WW1 flight sim called Dawn Patrol. This was the game that got me into the computer field back in the mid 90s! I have XP Pro. When trying to launch the install from the cd I got an error message, "The NTDVM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction". Then it lists some sort of hard drive address. Any ideas on how I can get around this?? Your help is much appreciated. Thanks.

7. augiedoggie

I'm not too sure here but try and copy your CD to its own folder onto hard disk, do the DroptoDos on the folder and then execute the install program. Sorry for the vagueness but it's been a while.;)

8. jefflbi

Nice thought, and not vague at all. Unfortunately I got the same error. I have a feeling it's got something to do with my dual core processor. I've run into a few problems with other games that used to run find on my single core processor. Alas, technology is leaving behind some great games. But sooner or later, someone will come up with a solution
    Thanks!

9. augiedoggie

You have tried compatibility right? Other than running VBox/Win98 I can't think of anything else. Your processor is decent and if you have 2GB RAM you should be gold, heck even 1GB should suffice. Good luck.

10. jefflbi

Yeah, I just tried the compatibility options, and even some of the options in the memory tab. I'm pretty sure it's my processor. I'm downloading VB now. I'm gonna give it a shot. What the heck, I'm not doing much tonight anyway. Ü

11. jefflbi

Damn! Got VB installed and was starting the Win98 setup and don't you know my cd is unreadable!! Figures. I have plenty of First Editions, but no 2nd editions! Hopefully I have one at work. I'll post an update as I progress........if I progress! Ü

12. augiedoggie

Well, is this the only thing that your optical can't read? They do go bust as anything else does.

13. jefflbi

It's not my drive, my system is less than a year old. And it reads other cds. My 98 cd is pretty scratched up. Amazing how that happens from just sitting in a cd wallet. Chances are I'll be able to find a good one at work somewhere. I can always resort to First Edition, but I'd really rather have 2nd.

14. slippingintomadness

slippingintomadness Private E-2

You could try Virtual PC 2007 from Microsoft. Its free and easy to use, but you will still need a working Win98 CD. (Just search for virtual PC under downloads at Microsoft.com)

It says that it requires XP Pro or higher OS, but I think it works on XP Home anyways if you don't have XP Pro.

*Seems to slow down a system more than other virtual software but its easier to use*

I prefer Dosbox when its an option but not always as easy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds