Please Check Signal

Discussion in 'Software' started by baglady26, Nov 7, 2004.

1. baglady26

baglady26 Private E-2

I have a Compaq Presario 7478 (Windows 98) that is giving me problems. When I turn it on, the desktop seems to be making all the right noises, but the monitor reads, "Please Check Signal." I initially thought the problem was the monitor but when tested, it works with my laptop and another desktop. So, I am back to wondering what it wrong with the computer. (Even since I purchased it, the PC has given me troubel with display settings (often increasign the size of desktop imagines 200% and not allowing me to re-set them. I haven't done anything unusual (i.e.. I have never opened the back of the desktop, never installed mreo memory, no video card repalcements, etc.) Please help!!

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Sounds like you need to try another graphics card. See if you borrow another card. REmove old card and replace with new card. Make sure you ground your hands on a metal piece of your computer case before delving inside computer. Static discharge from your hands is not good for computer components. Also make sure that computer is switched off and unplugged from the wall socket. Another idea, check the pins on the outside of the graphics card where you plug the monitor into. Sometimes these can get bent. Be very careful if you try to straighten them as they are fragile. Bazza

===

3. bigbazza

Any luck, baglady? Baz

4. bigbazza

BTW, double posting in Hardware and Software forums is frowned on, and confusing. Baz

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds