Please Help!!! Computer Sporadically Shuts Down, Restarts After Several Attempts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Altom85, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Altom85

Altom85 Private E-2

I am at my wits end with my computer. I'm desperate for answers. Let me start from the beginning. With my beginning specs:

PSU: Corsiar 700W
    CPU: Intel i5 3570
    MOBO: MSI Intel Z77 MPower
    GPU: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333
    HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 320gb 7200 RPM
    Case: Spider GS-6700

My initial issue was the computer "turned on" but not really. The lights on the mobo would turn on for a split second, but no fans turn on or anything. Then I'd hear a slight click, the mobo lights would turn off, then it happened all over again - lights turn on split second, click noise, turns off, rinse and repeat. I breadboarded it, took off everything and only connected power. Worked, then I tried ram, worked, etc. Everything worked. I put it back in the case, everything worked again perfectly. I'd reboot and it would stay on all day. BUT if the computer hibernated ... bam, mobo lights switch on split second then shuts down. Same exact problem. I would breadboard it, rinse and repeat. I checked the bottom of the mobo, I thought maybe a misaligned screw was causing a short but everything was lined up perfectly. I thought maybe it was the PSU, so I replaced it with a Silverstone 850W. I also changed the CMOS battery (at the suggestion of a friend).

Then it began happening with the mobo breadboarded. I turned off sleep mode for good. As long as the computer wouldn't sleep or restart (from an automatic update or something) it was perfectly fine. But then one day there was a power outage in my area. My computer never quite turned back on, just the slight click noise, mobo lights on, etc. This time I tried for 2 days to get it going, including breadboarding, but nothing worked. I decided maybe it was the mobo, and got a new one - a very basic Intel Desktop Motherboard LGA1155. My budget was super tight... though I wanted a computer to game MUCH more importantly I needed it for work related stuff. Additionally, I got new ram for it G.Skill DDR3 1866 PC3 14900, which is compatible with the new mobo. For good measure, I cleaned up the inside and replaced the thermal paste on the heatsink and CPU.

For awhile everything was running well, but NOW... the computer is freezing sporadically, goes into a brief boot loop (reboots, freezes at the Windows loading screen, then reboots again) about 5-6 times before going back into Windows. The freezing/rebooting is very sporadic. I even had to reformat twice because the boot loop was stuck for a greater number of times than 6. The startup repair never works and neither does returning to a previous point.

I don't know if this is part of the same issue, or if it is a new issue. If it's a new issue I will go back to basics (breadboard, etc) but I am wondering if something all clicks together, something I am not seeing. Any help would be appreciated.

For reference, here are my specs NOW (after all replacements)

PSU: Silverstone 850W
    CPU: Intel i5 3570
    MOBO: Intel Desktop Motherboard LGA1155
    GPU: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X
    RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1866 PC3 14900
    HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 320gb 7200 RPM
    Case: Spider GS-6700

Thank you for your time

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

How does it run on onboard graphics?

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Since you have replaced the PSU, RAM and the motherboard too, and you have reinstalled Windows - twice - that leaves little left. As Just Playin suggested, have you tried running with integrated graphics?

Note the problem with standoffs under the motherboard is not that one might be misaligned. It is that there may extra standoffs under the board shorting things out. Cases are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards so there are almost always more standoff mounting holes than motherboard mounting holes. So you need to verify you only have a standoff in the case where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole. That said, this usually presents with consistent problems starting with the first boot after installing the board.

What if you disconnect the boot drive? Without a boot drive, you should still be able to boot into the BIOS Setup Menu if you press the applicable key when prompted during the initial stages of boot. If you don't press a key, the computer should make it's way through POST (power on self test), then halt when it cannot find a boot drive.

The "clicks" you report you hear does suggest a failing drive.

4. Altom85

Altom85 Private E-2

Thank you so much for the replies, I really appreciate the direction.

I deeply apologize for not responding sooner, work has had me extremely busy and traveling (7 days in a row, oof!) So an interesting issue came up 2 nights ago. My wife reported it to me that she went to transfer some files off my computer. After turning it on and working on it for about an hour, the computer froze and there was continuous extremely loud static noises coming from the speakers. She said she tried to reboot via CTRL, ALT, Delete and still nothing. She had to do it through the reset button on the case.

Good call. I need to get an HDMI to DVI adapter so I can test without the graphics card.

Sorry, I did mean in general about the standoffs. I made sure there wasn't extra, and also that they were aligned properly with the mobo. What really made me write this off with my last mobo is when I placed it on a large piece of cardboard (free of staples and other metals) and it had still been shutting down.

Do you think a secondary (not the one with the OS) could potentially cause the issue? I took out my backup drive - it's pretty old, I probably got it back in 2007. And it didn't even occur to me to even list it on my specs. But when you said a failing hard drive, that's the first thing I thought of, though it's not my primary boot drive. But yes my mobo successfully passed POST but then stopped when it couldn't find a boot drive. This is when I put back in my primary drive and took out my backup drive.

In any case I'm getting that adapter (it's good to have anyway) so if the issue occurs again I'll try the on-board graphics, then if it happens further I'll look into replacing my primary HDD.

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

It is not likely a secondary drive would cause this, unless there was something electrically wrong with it - an intermittent short, for example.

If you still have problems when using the integrated graphics, you probably need to look at power again.

Every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the house and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

If your outlets test good, you might need to consider a "good" UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation). Note that power during a power outage is just a bonus. It is the AVR that makes a "good" UPS worth its salt. Frankly, I recommend all computers be on a "good" UPS with AVR.

6. Altom85

Altom85 Private E-2

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I took out my secondary drive and this issue hasn't happened again! IT'S A MIRACLE!!!! I've waited several weeks as I was extremely skeptical (I still kinda grip my desk when the computer reboots in fear). Prior I hadn't let my computer sleep for fear it wouldn't turn back on again. Now it sleeps no problem, always boots up fine, hasn't shut off randomly at all. Strange that it was the secondary drive and not the boot drive.

I wasn't sure if there was a "solved" flag or something I had to throw up on this post, but I just wanted you guys to know! Thanks so much for all your help guys, it's vastly appreciated. You guys rock. I'm so happy!! :) If you're ever in Hershey PA, I'll buy you guys a beer haha

7. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Thank you for letting us know.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds