Please help, I need a software that can lock me out of my computer for specified time

Discussion in 'Software' started by PLZohplzhelpmeidisablescr, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, I'm not very good at time management so I need a program that can lock me out of my computer for a specified amount of time, that way I don't get distracted and turn my computer on again. (Is there a way this is possible?) Please help!!!

2. AleksisMichael

AleksisMichael Private E-2

Re: Please help, I need a software that can lock me out of my computer for specified

this sounds like a horrible prank to play on a sibling/friend :/ but uhh im not sure thier is such a program, i mean it sounds very ..... dangerous potentialy if someone needed comp access sudenly for something ultimately etc on top of other issues.... you will need to go outside to do your homework etc perhaps... or find a way to keep your comp busy, maye if you used your comp for seti or dna or water or whatever they are doing with spare pc power while you do your work, pehraps play music from a net station while doing your homework as well from the pc that way its being used produtively and you get to focus on your work etc ?
    just a possibilty

3. LordOlives

LordOlives Private First Class

Re: Please help, I need a software that can lock me out of my computer for specified

The following command will limit when a user can login.
    In the following example the user is only allowed to login Sunday - Friday between the times of 8AM and 6PM.
    Note: time must be set in hours, so 18:44 wont work.

net user <username> /time:S-F,08:00-18:00

The net user command only limits the user when they try to log on, it doesn't force them to log off if they are currently logged on even if they go past their allowed time to log on.

The following command will force force the user to logoff but the only way I could get this to work as a scheduled task was if the user who made the task was logged on.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe /l /f

4. LordOlives

LordOlives Private First Class

I kind of see why you may think it could be used as a prank, and i'm not saying your wrong, but I myself have often thought about doing this on my own system. I have a reminder that pops up that says "go to bed" and 9/10 I close it because I was working on something to find my self finally going to bed 3 hours later. I know, I have no self control. lol I just never did this if for some reason I really needed to get on my system because I forgot to do something I didn't want to be locked out.

5. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Going forward with this question...if you don't have an answer to the specific question being asked, do NOT post!

Btw, 'learn self-control' is not an answer to "I need a program that can lock me out of my computer for a specified amount of time". This is a Software Forum on a Computer website, not a Psychological counseling site.

@PLZohplzhelpmeidisablescr... typically internet providers will offer parental controls that will allow you to control internet usage. Who is your provider?

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

PLZohplzhelpmeidisablescr, it was pointed out that you already had a thread going on this topic: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=258294

Please do not start duplicate threads.

If you don't know how to find your threads, click on your profile and go to the Statistics tab. You will see links for both your posts and your threads.

I'm going to close this one. Any other comments, please post in your other thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds