Please help - I think I just messed up my system with a software download

Discussion in 'Software' started by giffordal, Mar 31, 2007.

1. giffordal

giffordal Private E-2

Fellow Forum Members,

If someone can help me, please be kind and help. I was just on the download section of this site and downloaded the Vista Codec Package 4.3.6 of codecs. The problem is that now I can't watch any of my files without them freezing up and there is no longer any sound on them. This is worse than it was before I downloaded the Vista file.

Can someone please tell me how to remove this entire program from my system but without removing any of my old codecs that were in my system before I downloaded the Vista Codec Package 4.3.6.

Any ideas or help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Al

2. Shark007

Shark007 Private E-2

Thats a fine mess you have yourself in. Why would you install such a comprehensive package of codecs onto a machaine already laden with codecs which are obviously already causing you problems?

Before you clicked I AGREE, didn't you read the message in RED TEXT,

Uninstall ALL codec related installations
    before installing this comprehensive package.

To clean this mess up, go to the control panel and REMOVE ALL CODECS. Reboot.

Install the Vista Codec Package, and hopefully, you will smile.

Shark007, VCP developer.

3. wacovi

wacovi Private E-2

Hello friend it seems you've gotten yourself in a pickle, as suggested your codecs are clashing so firstly do you have nero, realplayer, & windows media player installed if yes then that's a start. These three should have enough codecs. Next in google search type in 1.AVI CODEC 1.2 BUILD 110 2. GSPOT 221 3. XVID 1.1.2 FINAL INSTALLER. These are all free 1 & 2 establishes which codecs are required they complement each other. 3. would install additional light weight codec. If you are able to follow all you will be able to untangle yourself from your codec web....Hope you resolve it

4. mediadogg

mediadogg Private E-2

Hi, I had the same problem. I did see your warning message, but the simple fact is: I don't know how to uninstall codecs. Perhaps I'm not the only user who could benefit from a simple explanation, so that we can take advantage of your nice package. Thanks.

5. mediadogg

mediadogg Private E-2

Ok, here is what I did. I followed the instructions from this link: http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/12/how-to-remove-or-uninstall-audio-video.html
    But I think my audio driver is called a "CODEC" by the manufacturer, so I would up uninstalling my audio driver. At any rate, the driver was reinstalled by Vista automatically during the Codec Pack installation. Now WMP plays most everything and look pretty good. VLC player's video doesn't always work. I haven't yet tried "real" type content or quicktime content. I'll post more results later. Now, am I officially dubbed a "geek" at this point?:p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds