Please help : Internet Explorer cannot display this web page

Discussion in 'Software' started by semisilentbob, Jun 22, 2007.

1. semisilentbob

semisilentbob Private E-2

Hello everyone, I'm kind of a neophyte when it comes to the minutiae of computers, but even so, THIS has never happened to me before.

I tried to log on to an Internet Role Playing Game website :
    http://world5.monstersgame.co.uk

And I get this error message :

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
    You are not connected to the Internet.
    The website is encountering problems.
    There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
    Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make sure you are connected.

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

Internet connectivity has been lost.
    The website is temporarily unavailable.
    The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
    The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
    If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
    To view subscribed feeds

Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
    Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view.

Can anyone help to tell me why?
    And what to do about it?
    I can't find a way to make it load, although I KNOW it exists, because I played it at my friend's house.

2. Tarquin BA

Tarquin BA Private First Class

3. semisilentbob

semisilentbob Private E-2

Well HOLY HANNAH,
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!
    I've been trying for DAYS to get this to work at MY house.

I switched WORLD1 (in the URL you sent me) to WORLD 5, and it worked!!!!!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

I still don't understand WHY it works at my friends house and at work, but not at my house (OR apparently on YOURS) BUT it NOW works.

THANK YOU AGAIN.

I'm going away happily singing a jaunty tune and gonna do some orpg.
    Thanks one more time.

Semisilentbob.

4. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Basically, when you get that message, test the connection by typing in an address you know but haven't visited recently, such as microsoft.com or google.com that you couldn't possibly get wrong, or just use your home page and try pressing the F5 key or using your Refresh button and see what you get.

If you get "Can't connect" again, check no one knocked out the modem cable and that you did actually connect and haven't dropped out.

If you can get to another site and refresh it, check your address is correct and if you're sure it is, head for the homepage of the site and try finding your way from there - the page's address may have been changed or as Tarquin suggested, you may not be able to access that page unless you're logged in, which isnt the case here because I was able to use either link and I have nothing to do with anything at that site. I wonder if it has more to do with security settings of the browser or your security software or ISP settings.

If you can't get to their homepage but you can get to other places on the internet, most likely the site no longer exists or they are having problems. (On an extremely rare occasion someone might find they can't get to a site such as Symantec or McAfee which would be highly unusual, in which case they should start checking if they are unable to get to most anti-virus, anti-spyware type sites. It's pretty rare but does happen and is a fairly clear indicator of malware. Not the case here but just to give a complete picture of troubleshooting "Can't connect" problems...)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds