Please help me decode a (seemingly well) recovered text document

Discussion in 'Software' started by euler, Dec 31, 2012.

1. euler

euler Private E-2

Hi, firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to consider this post.
    My problem is this: A paper I had spent a few months writing got accidentally deleted from a USB which I had saved it to- and unfortunately I was dumb enough not to back it up. After basically breaking down, I found out about a program called eSupport Undelete Plus and got a copy. After installing it, I was able to easily find the file- and had regained hope as the program stated it's status to be "Excellent", as opposed to "Fair" or "Overwritten". But, my feeling of triumph quickly became diminished after I restored the file and opened it to only see a mish-mash of strange characters... which prompted my visit to this forum. The file size is about 29KB, which is the size I (strangely) remember the original copy to have. Hopefully there is a way to 'translate' this seemingly bizarre format? I would appreciate any support offered. Thank you again.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi, and Welcome to MG! :)

Try Recuva and see if you get the same mishmash characters.

3. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

What is the document's original file format - Word (.doc / .docx), Acrobat (.pdf), ...?

Does the recovered file have the same format?

Can you post a screenshot of some part of that document with the strange characters?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds