Please help me retrieve files deleted/moved by combofix!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by emanuelgoldstein, Apr 16, 2011.

1. emanuelgoldstein

emanuelgoldstein Private E-2

Hi there everyone. My name is Jimmy. I'm new to this site and forum. I look forward to meeting you all here.

I really need some help with recovering very important files on my laptop. My laptop is Toshiba Satellite L675 running Windows 7 OS. I bought it in August of 2010. The night of April 15th, my laptop contracted some sort of malware/virus that disabled all the .exe files so that I couldn't open anything. In the past, I have used Malwarebytes to fix a problem like this, or if it was more tricky, I used Combofix a couple of times to solve this problem and it worked just fine.

However, after the most recent time I did it, when I logged on to my desktop, almost all my files were gone! The folders on my desktop were gone, although most of my programs were still there and worked, including ones I have installed recently, before this problem (only a few Toshiba apps that I rarely used such as Reeltime and Bulletin Board were gone). I also still have a number of text documents and pics left, although they were not on the desktop. I really, really need these documents back, several of them were essays and research projects I were working on, and I also had about a year and a half's worth of photos from vacations in South America on there! I don't want to have lost all those photos, there were several hundred of them! :cry
    Thank you for your help!

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Zip up the C:\Qoobox folder and attach it to your next reply, or do a system restore to before you ran Combo.

3. emanuelgoldstein

Ok, TimW, will do, here is the zipped up C:\Qoobox folder attachment:

Attached Files:

4. emanuelgoldstein

I sent the Zipped up file you requested in a reply.

5. TimW

I am not seeing where it removed any data. Try doing a system restore.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

I'd check under c:\users

If we knew the folders/directories listed there, we may be able to help. perhaps.

7. emanuelgoldstein

The C:\Qoobox does not indicate that any data was erased? That it is still there? But would a system restore risk erasing the files permanently? Like would that be like formatting the system or resetting it to how it was out of the factory with no files left?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  8. theefool

theefool Geekified

System restore will not affect files you created. Still would like to know what is listed under c:\users

9. emanuelgoldstein

When I searched C:\users, two users folders appeared, in both, there are two folders, one which says Administrator, the other which says Emergency (the name of an account which I created in case one desktop gets infected to the point that I may have to fix the laptop from another clean account, used only in emergencies. Would it be good to include copies of the folders, perhaps zipped up? I don't think there is anything in them though :(

10. theefool

theefool Geekified

I'd check under those folder to see if anything is recognizable/readable. Do, you have any other drives? drive letters. etc?

11. TimW

Have you tried doing a restore?

12. emanuelgoldstein

No, I haven't tried the system restore. What would be the best way going about that though, on Windows 7, so to insure I have everything back the way it was right before this problem happened?

13. TimW

Just pick a restore point that was before you ran Combo.

14. emanuelgoldstein

Ok, I'll try that out with one of my friends from work who's very skilled in these cases and hopefully that will work. This would bring back files though (video, music, text, photos) that look like they've been erased (not present on desktop or in folders)? I'm sure my friend will know. I'll let you know how it goes.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds