PLEASE HELP | Music collection dead | Access Denied errors|

Discussion in 'Software' started by tjlmbklr, Feb 12, 2010.

1. tjlmbklr

tjlmbklr Private E-2

Okay, it's all still there but here's my issue in detail: I was trying to reorganize my itunes/music folders. The way I have been doing it is I basically have my music in 2 different folders (iTunes and another seperate music folder). I did this because I am a bit new to how iTunes organizes my music and I like having my music in folders the way I want. Anyway that's not the issue; the issue is I decided to start fresh with deleting all my iTunes music (still stewing in recycle bin) and just do the the old drag and drop from my backup music folder. So I just dragged all my folders into iTunes. Then I went to browse my music folders (non iTunes) and it keeps giving me a "Permission Denied"

If it makes any difference all my media music/videos are stored on external Seagate 320GB HD. I can still access all my Videos but every time I try to open any of my music folders I get the this error "you do not have permission to view this object's security properties"

Well I got past that buy changing that folders permissions under advanced. The issue I have now is I have to do this for EVERY FOLDER AND EVERY FILE/SONG IN THOSE FOLDERS. This will take forever. And to top it off all my tags I wrote to all those files are gone too. :cry

What did I do, and is there a easier way to fix this?

Please help!

2. tjlmbklr

tjlmbklr Private E-2

3. Noone

Noone Private E-2

The tags might be stored in the header of your mp3 files. Pull one of them back out of the recycle bin to your desktop and check it's properties with itunes. If your tags are still there, they are stored in the modified mp3 headers and you won't have them unless you use the ones you threw away.

4. Noone

Noone Private E-2

Your link is broken....

try this one instead: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

XP Home doesn't have a security tab in non-safemode unfortunately.

You can also do it using an administrator account from the command line with:

CACLS.EXE "c:\path\folder\" /T /E /G {user}:F

This will grant {user} full access to all files in "c:\path\folder\" it's subfolders.

CACLS.EXE /?

This will give you command syntax information if you want to know what everything does.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds