please help! the choice between 2 virus scan engines

Discussion in 'Software' started by netsurf, Jun 22, 2003.

1. netsurf

netsurf Private E-2

hi, i want to get a virus scan program. there are 2 famous one out there, mcafee and norton. i want to get one of those, but i am being indecisive. which one is better? please give me some advice on this. thanks

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

There's no choice here since you seem to want to pay. Good free choice is AVG Virus definitions constantly updated.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

4. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

Of the two choices, I use Norton, and despise McAfee

Used AVG for a while with no problems, but I bought Norton System works (Mainly for Ghost) so I use Norton

5. Balbanebeoulve

Balbanebeoulve Bal. Balba. Babalabawhosemawhutsie

I've had bad times with mcafee...and well I find NOD32 to better then both of those, nod32 is well my dream antivirus, never seen anything this amazing! Well Norton out of those 2, I actually liked norton but it was bloated and a resource hog compared to nod32 in my opinion...

Regards,
    -BB.

6. netsurf

netsurf Private E-2

thank you all for your inputs. i used to use mcafee, and then tried notron once. yes BB was right, norton is sure a resource hog. i will try out nod32 or kaspersky. but what about PC-Cillin? does anyone have any idea on PC-Cillin? again. thank you!

7. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

8. netsurf

netsurf Private E-2

thanks da chicken!

9. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

10. netsurf

netsurf Private E-2

thank you!

11. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

my .02 is that they both suck.. www.my-etrust.com (CAI) makes the best AV available right now.

12. Proffasee

Proffasee Private E-2

I use PC-cillin myself...not much of a fan of neither Norton or McAfee.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds