Please Help with Internet Explorer and Win98

Discussion in 'Software' started by mpally, Jan 11, 2004.

1. mpally

mpally Private E-2

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Here is the situation. I went to restart our desktop yesterday and I received an error message stated that there was an error and the system will need to be shut down. When I clicked ok, all I got was my wallpaper and the mouse arrow. I never got any icons or task bars. I called Gateway and they said I had a virus and they thought they could help. Well, I can boot up now,so I think the virus is gone, but I can't log onto the internet. When I go to start-programs-internet explorer, there is nothing listed there. Does this mean that I don't have any IE on my computer currently? If so, what do I do now? Any other thoughts are appreciated. BTW, I am running Windows 98. Gateway is now telling me I need to delete my hard drive and reinstall everything. Does that sound right? [/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica][font=verdana, arial, helvetica]This is the error message I get now upon booting up:

Error loading C:\PROGRA~1\NEWDOT~1\NEWDOT~2.DLL

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

And now I can't log onto the internet. When I try it says:

Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site XXXXXXXX.

A connection with the server could not be established.

Also, we have a wireless router in our house, if that makes any difference. Thanks for your help.
    [/font]
    [/font]

2. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

3. mpally

mpally Private E-2

I do have bearshare installed, but I didn't install it recently. Should I just uninstall bearshare and see if that works? Also, should there be anything listed in Internet Explorer in programs? Sorry for all the questions, I am not that good with computers. Thanks.

4. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

follow that link for removal instructions for the new net plug-in which is installed with bearshare
    also you may then have to repair your winsock (internet connection) so just follow the second link

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds