please help with my crashed hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sarahloggin, May 27, 2006.

1. sarahloggin

sarahloggin Private E-2

Hello, I have a major problem with my laptop and am hoping that someone can help me. Please bear with me because I know as much about laptops/computers as my grandmother and basically have no understanding of computer jargons.

This laptop is HP Pavilion ZX5000 and a few weeks ago, I could hear this really loud screeching noise coming from the bottom of the laptop, then it eventually crashed. It seemed like it was coming from my dvd/cd drive and I took it to a friend of mine who’s pretty knowledgeable with computers.

Anyway, it turns out, or he thinks, the hard drive crashed for some reason. He tried to run a diagnostic test through what’s called BIOS but to no avail and he says it’s not recognizing the hard drive.

So here is where it stands right now. Every time I turn it on, I can clearly hear some grinding noise from my hard drive. I have taken out the hard drive and while it seems like there may be a loose part, but it could be a little part that goes up and down (not sure what that’s called) and I wouldn’t even be able to know what’s wrong with it anyway.

And the screen that I get reads as follows:
    For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (020326)
    PXE-E61: Media Test failure, check cable
    PEX-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

This screen repeats itself over and over.

As I said, my friend tried to go into BIOS and somehow got into a screen that reads HDD Self-Test but he said he can’t run it as it reads, Test Status: NO IDE Device.

Does anybody know what’s going on with my laptop? It’s somewhat understandable as I’ve had it for a couple of years now, but really can’t afford to buy a new one either.

He says that one option is to buy a new hard drive and I found some on various sites for sale and the refurbished or used ones are not too expensive. Is that the solution? If I buy the same model and just place it back in my laptop, would that do the trick?

I would appreciate anyone’s help on this matter. Again, my computer knowledge is almost non-existent so I would appreciate hearing back in a very simple understandable language. Thank you in advance.

Sarah

By the way the hard drive is TOSHIBA 80GB MK8025GAS

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

If the drive can't be picked up in the BIOS & the cables are seated correctly then the drive must be dead. Looks like a replacement drive will sort it out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds