Please help with wireless network setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mklebaron, Dec 5, 2004.

1. mklebaron

mklebaron Private E-2

Hi -
    I am trying to add on to a linksys wireless broadband router - I have a xp home desktop wired to the router, then I have a wireless pc running xp - I now want to add a win98 desktop to that network. Please in layman's terms tell me what I need to do...so far I have installed a wmp11 - linksys pci adapter - it is showing power light on back. When I look at the WLAN monitor - it says its not installed. Big yellow exclamation point on the device manager. I've tried to update driver and the exclamation point remains. Not sure what I am doing wrong....please help. Going crazy. Can this even be done? Thanks in advance for your help. Kari

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Did you install the software for the wireless card before physically installing it in the computer? The instructions specify for Win98 you must do so.That is most often the requirement, and typically the most frequent cause of trouble. If this is the case, you need to Remove it in Device Manager, shut down the computer, remove the card, restart the computer, install the software, shut down again, install the card and restart.

3. mklebaron

mklebaron Private E-2

No, I installed the card first - I'll try your suggestion - thanks for the quick response! Kari

4. mklebaron

mklebaron Private E-2

The Doug -
    I tried it and now in device manager I am getting a message that says "The ndis.vxd, (ntkern.vxd) for this device could not load the device driver (code 2) - I tried to update with a newer version of ndis but to no avail - any more thoughts? I appreciate it! Thanks, Kari

5. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

The product data sheet minimum requirements specify Win98SE. Do you have just Win98 by chance?

6. mklebaron

mklebaron Private E-2

yes, I do! Oops - well, I actually got it to work. I started over - installed software, new ndis. then card - lo and behold. It works - its just for the kids to surf the net - they're happy. Thanks again for your help. We'll see how long it works for...hmmmm?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds