Please ID these modules

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr. Ed, May 31, 2014.

1. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Private E-2

Hello again. I believe I've identified the memory modules in my Toshiba laptop. I've included a picture. Are these the memory modules? If so, how are they removed? Thanks...(BTW, it's a Toshiba Satellite series, about 8+ yrs old running XP3). Also, which is slot A and B?

[​IMG]

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

There are metal tabs on each side of the modules that you gently spread apart. The module should then "pop" up at an angle and you would slide the module straight out. Once the module is out, the slot should be labeled "A" or "B" and with what type of module it uses. To install new modules, slide the module into the slot until it seats (there should be little to no pins showing) and push gently down on the top edge of the module until it "clicks" into place.

3. mdonah

P.S. You correctly identified the RAM modules. When replacing them, make sure the replacements have the same number of pins as the originals (modules with more pins obviously won't fit) and make sure they're laptop memory modules (the single notch by the pins is offset to one side instead of centered).

4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Private E-2

Thanks, guys. Those metal tabs you mentioned, are they located at the top and bottom of the modules? There are some doohickies there that appear to be those tabs. I don't want to break something. If push comes to shove I may just bring the laptop to a local office supply or computer store and have them do it. I do appreciate all your help. :)

5. mdonah

They're located at the sides of each module. Gently push outward on the semi-circular portion of the tab until the module pops up at a 45° angle then lift the module straight out. To install new/replacement modules, slide the module into the slot at a 45° angle until seated then push down on the top edge until the module clicks into place to lock it in.

I've done this numerous times with my own laptop. Yours is better in a way because both modules are on the same side of the system board. Mine are on opposite sides and I have to remove the keyboard in order to get at module "A".

6. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Private E-2

Thanks, Mdonah.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds