Please please help, BIOS failure! CPU dead

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FitchMatt, Oct 24, 2005.

1. FitchMatt

FitchMatt Private E-2

Ok, yesterday morning I woke to find my computer frozen. Only slightly miffed, I did a hard boot. Upon restart my BIOS was acting odd, which was confirmed when no devices were located either on IDE or SATA. Also, the memory check was going much much slower then the norm. So I rebooted again and went into the BIOS setup utility. (By the by I have Award BIOS)

Once in the setup utility I went into the various menus and was both surprised and dismayed. None of my devices were showing up, and I couldn't detect a single one of them. Then I saw something that really scared me, my system clock was constantly shifting time, day, month, and year! Even if I set the clock it just kept on shifting. I took the battery out of my motherboard for at least 5 minutes hoping to reset the BIOS, but it didn't help.

As of now, when I turn on my computer my monitor doesn't get any signal ever and nothing seems to happen, including the BIOS starting up. PLEASE PLEASE help! My poor computer is dead.

Thank you for taking a few minutes to read,

Fitch

2. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

If your bought it recently i would say return it to where you bought it and exchange it.

3. FitchMatt

FitchMatt Private E-2

Sadly no, it has been a few months since I bought the board and started using it.

4. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

Are you using a surge protector, if not then your motherboard must have been fried by a power surge.

5. FitchMatt

FitchMatt Private E-2

Yeah, it's on a surge protector, so no power surge.

6. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

Looks like your going to have to get a new motherboard + cpu.

7. FitchMatt

FitchMatt Private E-2

Do you honestly think it is that bad? Is there no way to reinstall my BIOS?

8. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

No, There is no way that i know of.

9. Flushed

Flushed Private E-2

10. scouse

scouse Corporal

Cannot see why you need a new CPU, it seems to me your mobo is shot (hopefully i am wrong) a new mobo cheapish if you do not use your computer for anything but basic none over clocking computing..

Good luck..

11. FitchMatt

FitchMatt Private E-2

That link was perfect Flushed, I will try that this afternoon once I can get access to a floppy with internet. (Typing on a laptop w/o a floppy) Anyone else have any advice? And what's with the adding in the line into the autoexec.bat file?

12. Flushed

Flushed Private E-2

You can edit the .bat file simply by right clicking it and choosing edit. (should open up with notepad) without seeing the file its a bit difficult to give you any more advice than that. With a bit of luck some .bat files have instructions on them to show you where you need to edit.

True what scouse says though, If the worse happens and you have to get a new mobo, get one compatible with your cpu and try it, the cpu might be fine.

13. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Might be a good idea to make sure the battery hasn't died on you. If it's dead or too weak, the CMOS memory (including date, time, and hard drive settings) is toast. Unpredictable results should be expected. :rolleyes:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds