please recomend me a portable photo catalog program

Discussion in 'Software' started by stevvie, Jan 26, 2011.

1. stevvie

stevvie Private E-2

I'm after a PORTABLE catalog program for my photo's. I usually use picasa as it fits my needs apart from you cannot put it on a portable drive and take it to a family members house so they can see/select what photo's they want me to print. I have tried the portable version of picasa but as soon as you run it on another PC it wipes my photo's and starts cataloging the other persons photo's. This does this even if I turn ALL the drives off in the folder manager. I thought I would stick portable picasa on an SD drive then slide the lock protection across to stop the disk being written to but it still removes my database from showing. So I'm in need of a cataloger that will save thumbnails and will NOT remove them as soon as the program is run on another PC. Also if this program didn't cost alot of money that would be even better.

Thanks

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. stevvie

stevvie Private E-2

I use XNView as my main viewer and as far as I'm aware there is NO option to save catalogs. but please correct me if I'm wrong. It can create contact sheets but I doubt that anybody would want to sift through loads of contact sheets.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

"Contact sheets" means what, email addresses, names, etc.? If that's what you mean, that seems like an odd requirement regarding photo software. If you want to save contacts, use your email client's contacts feature.

I believe thumbnails displayed by photo editing programs are usually temporary files; they are generated when the photo editing program is opened but disappear when the program is closed, and this would be repeated each time the program is opened. So, I doubt you're going to find what you want.

5. stevvie

stevvie Private E-2

No contact sheets are rows and columns of photos, google is a powerfull thing. As I see NOwhere that anybody discussed emails, or is that a how you bump your post's upto over 2500 ?
    And in my FIRST post I'me asking if anybody knows of a program that will catalog my pictures with thumbnails so I can show family members.

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

7. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Guys

Dont know if any of you have actually tested these suggested apps out for the very question thats asked at all? as on the face of it it seems easy, but in reality its not as I have tested (taken 2hrs to mess around) FastStone Viewer, XNView and IrfanView out so far and none of these portable versions save the Thumbs Database (DB) to the same folder as the app.

You'd think this was easy option but I'm finding its not so far and I have tested these apps by installing on a USB Pen and opening various Image folder to catalogue the images and thumbs, then plugging in the USB Pen to my laptop and seeing of it lists the same Image Thumbs and so far none have.

Its just a pity Adobes Lightroom doesnt have a lite portable version as it tends to save the thumbs to a DB in the same folder, but its retail app and any lite version will be illegal.

My only suggestion is a large USB pen and save the Image Folders onto the USB pen and have a portable version of the above apps (choose one) to allow you to view the images, that was as you have the original images you can print to the printer of the persons home you are in.

9. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

That's why I told Stewie he can make his own portable apps using cameyo. Usually a portable app created with a virtualaztion program (ThinApp, Boxed App Packer, and Cameyo) sandboxes all the setting & files to the local drive / folder where they are excuted. A much "larger" option would be to try portable VBox, load an OS and whatever apps he needs - that would surely work, but that may be considered using an A-bomb to kill an ant.
    But it would get the job done.:)

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Have you tried the theory personally with an image viewer app to double check this works? its the thin line between just guessing and coming up with a superb answer, as well as posting a step by step of what you did as many users many not know how to use such applications to create these portable versions.

11. stevvie

stevvie Private E-2

I did find a portable version of lightroom but am unhappy using it, especially on family members PC as it's illegal and that makes me very un easy. i have a portable version of picasa and that does indeed save the database onto the external drive but as soon as you run it on another PC it deletes that database GGRRRrr.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds