plug 5 pcs into a 4 port router?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by proevofanatik, Mar 18, 2011.

1. proevofanatik

proevofanatik Private E-2

i am trying to get 5 pcs in my work office to be networked on a 4 port router. previously i had them all wirelessly conected but the wifi signal was crap. so we are going wired since it is more reliable.

so we got an electrician to fit all of our ethernet boxes on the walls wireing them all together. but what hes done is, he has joined 1 ethernet plug into 2 wires and put both of them into the 1 port on the router. is this why 2 of our pcs wont connect to the internet? or do i have to configure the router to allow both pcs to work in that port?

the router is a bt 2701HGV-C 2-wire router.

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Networking does not work this way.

You can not join cable to one port. Lets hope that the computer's network card or motherboard did not get damaged.

To have more ports you buy a Network switch and connect it to the Router with CAT5e , then use the switch's ports as additional ports, and connect the computers that are not connected right now to the switch.

Example for a switch, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156270

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds