Plug N Play Device Trying To Reinstall Itself After Every Boot!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superstar, Jun 6, 2008.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

Hi I have a microsoft life came vx1000 usb web cam. It's a plug and play camera I have had connected to my pcs rear usb pci card port for a year. I have never had a problem with the usb card nor have I ever had a problem with the camera.

Well I just recently took out the old generic psu I used to use and swapped it for a new antec earthwatts psu. As soon as I did that and booted up for the first time, I noticed that my webcam tried to actually install itself because a windows xp new hardware wizard came up on screen which I canceled. Once canceled I saw a icon on my systray say new usb camera found. Windows never used to do this... It never used to try to install the camera since it's a plug and play device which requires no setup. So I went in my device manager and sure enough seen a question mark next to a device simply labeled usb camera. When I right clicked to view it's properties it said this device is not configured properly. So I decided to physically unplug the usb cord from my rear usb port and plug it back in. When I did this all was back to normal and no windows xp prompt showed up trying to install the camera. The device was shown in the device manager as microsoft vx1000 web cam and everything was just like it always was before. I turned the pc on and off and it never tried to reinstall the cam with windows new hardware prompt ever again.

But the thing that's driving me crazy [and is weird as heck] is that every time I unplug my pc from the wall outlet to open the case up/clean dust out or whatever and than plug the pc back into the wall and boot up, I get the same darn windows new hardware wizard prompt about the webcam and have to cancel it. Than I have to unplug the usb camera cord and plug it back in to correct the issue. Than it never does this weird problem again forever until I physically unplug the pc power cord from the wall outlet and plug it back in afterwards.

Why s this happening and how can I fix it so it stops?

This all started happening after I installed my new power supply unit...

Thanks

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

First, you don't have to unplug & plug back in a USB device to make it work. Go to control panel, system, hardware/advanced, device manager, right-click the webcam, uninstall, no to restart, go to action/scan for hardware changes.

I'm guessing what you're experiencing is that your motherboard is assigning a different IRQ to your Webcam so Windows thinks it's a different one. It's a Windows by-design. I doubt Windows 7 will change anything other than costing more $$$ for the same thing.

3. superstar

This will fix my problem? Ok I'll try it out and unplug my pc to see what good it does... I'll create a restore point before doing so.

4. superstar

I finally tried out your instructions and they did not work at all. When I unplug the power cord of my pc for over 5 minutes, plug it back in, turn the pc on, than windows loads and tries to reinstall the already connected webcam as if it needs software to do so. This camera doesn't even use any software it's plug and play. This is getting annoying because like I said I always have to unplug and plug back in the camera usb cord just so it works and is recognized properly the second time.

The weird thing is that if I unplug my pc for less than 5 minutes and turn it back on the camera will not try to reinstall itself. It'll show up fine in device manager with it's description "microsoft lifecam vx1000". As I said before this all started happening when I switched my old generic no name power supply for my new ANTEC.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!! :yum

5. superstar

Wow no help still...

6. superstar

Are you deaf, dum, or blind? Unplugging/plugging a device back in can cause significant wear and tear on a usb male to female plug. & also cause issues with usb pci cards. Your simply ignorant... Get outta here with your 20 posts repertoire.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds