Plugging Usb In Makes Screen Go Black For A Couple Of Seconds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Haarup, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Haarup

Haarup Private E-2

Hi everybody!

My first thread here ;o)

As the headline says ive run into a weird problem on my PS4 (not PC sorry). If the system is on and im plugging the USB in to charge my joystick, my tv goes black for a couple of seconds. Doesnt happen every time but like every 4 time or so.

What can cause this? Its worth to note, that it happens as soon as the USB touches the port, so its not even insertet fully when it happens. It also happens when i pull the USB out? I have checked the HDMI and its not wiggly or anything.

The PS4 is only 1 week old. I have no clue to what this can be and im afraid ive got a "monday" model..

Hope anyone can help! cheers

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If it was a PC then my train of thought to the issue would be a short at the USB contacts, and this is likely to be the same as your PS4, could also just be a slight interference is signal, what happens if with the PS4 off you plug everything in you need, then book the machine?

I note its only one week old, if bought new then its under warranty so I would take it back as you say could just be a faulty one, but I'm not a PS4 user, so i'd wait to see if one of our members who is a PS4 user has come across this before taking the machine back

I take its its not staying black other than the few seconds?

3. Haarup

Haarup Private E-2

Hi David

Thanks for your answer

The PS4 works fine otherwise i recon but and the flicker/Black screen is only for a short few seconds then it clears itself up. I just know if i return to the store, they are gonna send it to their partner and it will be gone for weeks and they wont find a thing since its a bit random when it happens

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Maybe just one of those issues a PS4 has when plugging in devices when switched on. I hear you on sending it away to only come back with a "we found no issues" type of reply.

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

When a unit is 1-2 weeks old they should do an immediate swap over as it still falls under a DOA definition (under my standards and the BBB will also give you that).

Do you have another HDMI cable you can try?

Do you have another USB cable you can try?

Else call the store and explain the troubleshooting you have tried and "can they advise of any further action", try their advice but if they are awkward or "being difficult" call BBB and ask for consumer rights advice.

I would research your BBB rights before calling them so you are talking from and informed consumer perspective.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds