...plugin Is Needed...; Procedure - Adequate Or Overkill???

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dekade, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

I am in the process of installing software on my new desktop build. I came across a Java issue. I am trying to make this OS and software install process as clean as possible with no goof ups. Please advise me if the following is adequate???

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/error_installshield.xml

Or is this following link overkill and/or unsafe???

http://windowsinstructed.com/can-not-uninstall-install-java/

Windows 7 Pro. Also, below are my build specs if you need them

Thanks,

Dekade

Asus Z97A/USB3.1
    I7 - 4790K
    G Skill; 8 x 2; 2400mhz; Sniper - 16GB
    AMD Radeon 6780 GPU
    On Board Sound

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Just say NO to Java, not missed it in 3 years or so here.

3. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

Thanks satrow.

What do I use instead to solve the "plug in is needed to display this content"?? That notice is why I was led to Java during a Google search.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It's best to avoid any websites that require you to install Java. It's an avenue that's exploited by malware.

5. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

How do I get a video to play then on a site where the "plugin is needed..."???? For example I was on Zalmans website wanting to view the video on how to install one of their CPU coolers but could not view it because of the "plug in needed..."

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You do not need Java to view websites. I have four computers with Windows 7 and do not have Java on any of them.
    I think you are confusing javascript plugin with Java. They are very different things.
    What browser are you using?
    I will give you a link to the correct javascript plugin.

Post the address of the video that gives you the plugin needed so I can be positive that javascript is what is required. My computer has IE 11, FF ESR and Palemoon installed.

7. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

Hi plodr
    Here is the link:
    http://zalman.com/eng/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=161
    That makes sense. I think you are correct in the assumption. Will see by your reply.
    FIREFOX

Please see the attached screenshot for where I was at. I had clicked on the "Watch Installation" button to get the displayed grey box plugin issue as is shown in the attached 'Z1.png' file.

Thanks,

Dekade

Attached Files:

• Z1.png
      Z1.png
      File size:
      230.9 KB
      Views:
  8. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

9. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

The answer to this question is 'no'. I have looked at Firefox and there are 'no add-ons' period installed. Just a plugin for a toggle button (in the shape of a shield - green javascript enabled/red disabled). A kind 'thank you' for the link.

However, I am still waiting for plodr to let me know if there is something that can be done.

I did try the link again on the page itself; still to no avail.

10. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

11. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

Hi Eldon, if you were to have been in my world at the time here's what you would have seen. Look at the attachment to this post. This is what got me going in the wrong direction. It was first on the list from a Google search. I have used Adobe Flash for many years just as everyone else has. I had yet to, and still haven't (will this morning), installed it on the new desktop build. Had to go through a bunch of hours just getting Windows Update completed and bunches of drivers installed. Yeesh! I will see in a bit if Flash changes the scenario.

The whole issue is obviously my own 'anxious' fault after seeing the replies I have received. I was thinking about Flash (and Adobe Reader) in the back of my mind the whole time but kept overlooking installing both of them while performing all of the driver, activation, antivirus, and update installs. Once I got FF installed I immediately went on the search for a CPU cooler. The tower, OS, and other things were not ready for such a search. I should have spun around and used the laptop stationed behind me to do the search, but I didn't.

Now, all of that is not to say that Flash will or will not be the solution. But I'll see in the next hour or two once I get back to working with the new system. Right now I'm on the laptop.
    Eldon, what is NB?? Newbie???

Attached Files:

• J1.png
      J1.png
      File size:
      150.2 KB
      Views:
  12. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

plodr, I'm still interested in what this is all about and what to do with it once I receive the link from you.

13. Eldon

Dekade, the first link you posted was to the website of Zalman. The second is to YouTube.
    I just watched that video on Zalman's website with Mozilla Firefox 42.0 and Adobe Flash Player Plugin 19.0.0.226.
    And then with Internet Explorer 9 and Adobe Flash Player ActiveX 19.0.0.226.

o_O

NB or N.B. is the acronym for nota bene.
    A Latin phrase (or its abbreviation) used to indicate that special attention should be paid to something.
    Wordweb

This is good advice.

As for JavaScript...
    If you have time to waste, read this.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript

14. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

Eldon, thanks for helping this morning. Can you see how (during my anxious moment of wanting to get the ball rolling) that I got screwed up and wasn't thinking when I watched the YOUTUBE video as shown in the attachment in post #11??? That particular video should really be taken off of the web - shouldn't it!?!?

I did scan the Javascript link you provided and have a better clarification/understanding now.

Anyway, the long and short of it is this - the folks in this thread have been very helpful and offered lots of advice that I have chosen to adhere to. And - I installed Adobe Flash. Instantly allowed me to watch the video.:D;) Dog gone I wish I would have slowed down and installed Flash when it was initially going through my mind. I am a sensitive individual. It bothers me to unnecessarily take up other people's time as a result of error on my part.

Thanks Forum.

15. Eldon

No problem at all. :)
    And now you know what NB means... :D

16. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Sorry I wasn't here to answer your questions - sometimes life interferes!
    But I see you are in good hands.

Just remember to keep flash updated. It gets updated every patch Tuesday (2nd Tuesday of each month) at minimum. If there is a security hole found, sometimes it is updated more than once a month.

I went to Tools/Addons/plugins and clicked the down arrow aside of Shockwave Flash and set it to Ask to Activate. I feel safer online. If I go to a strange site, I don't need to have flash running. If I go to a familiar site, I have to click to activate flash and then another small box pops up near the toolbar at the top and I select Allow Now rather than the other option Allow and Remember.
    If you go to a few particular sites alot and don't want to keep clicking then select Allow and Remember.

17. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

No apology required. You were there to help "start" the assist process. Many thanks.
    Great suggestion. I will use that. Thanks again.
    Kind Regards,

Dekade

18. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

Yep. Now I know.!?!?!? :confused:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds