PLZ help, i have no clues (NO VIDEO)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gameface, May 15, 2004.

1. gameface

gameface Private E-2

I haven't turned on my cpu for a few days. But when I turned it on today everything was fine for about 1-2min. Then everything froze, mouse, grafix started to go pixel w/ some lines. Ctrl + Alt + del didn't work, so I had to hard boot. No biggie cuz i have windows ME and have to do that on a fairly regular basis. When I turned my cpu back on after a few min. the monitor didn't display any thing. I restarted and tried again, but when I restarted my cpu *beeped* 4x. Still no display. Next time I tried using my S-video connection and attatched it to my TV (which i use regularly for watching d/l'd movies, episodes and what not). The TV didn't display anything either. So I took out my graphics card and put in the original, still nada. Oh and my backup discs haven't worked either.

ANY IDEAS are greatly appreciated, other than using Sludge Hammer 1.0 or Chainsaw 1.1

It always beeps 4x when i start the cpu. Not even my system recovery discs work

Thanks in advance.

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

What are the specs of your machine? What video card do you have, what motherboard do you have. If we know the mobo manufacturer we could point you to some beep codes. Sounds like somthing got fried... like the card itself... or somthing else overheated. But without any specs or other information, we can only speculate.

thanks!

3. gameface

gameface Private E-2

sorry about that.

specs:

HP Pavillion
    AMD athlon K6 933
    Radeon 8500/ nVida tnt 64 the nVida is the original/back-up
    40 gig hard drive 5 gigs free
    windowsME

history:
    I had to restore some system stuff about a month ago because I deleted a virii but it was tangled w/ some sys files. My cpu was hijacked and turned into a spam server. But the only problem I have had lately was with CWS and that is relatively easy to get rid of and I did get rid of it. Last time it infected my windows media player executable file, but thats easy to fix.

last time I used my cpu was to play counter strike 1.6 and it was working like a charm, and I turned it off using the normal proccess.

Thanks

4. gameface

gameface Private E-2

UPDATE:

I turned on my machine yesterday, and the video was there, but only for 2min. So I KNOW its not a graphics card problem. NE1 plz help

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

make sure all the fans are working properly. Especially the CPU fan.

6. gameface

gameface Private E-2

Well I took a look at the beep codes for my model PC:

4 beeps - relate to Timer problem in first 64k of mem

WTF does that mean and how do i fix it?

7. aLLiKZar

aLLiKZar It's not too late to back out!

Maybe bad stick of memory? If
    you have another lying around
    I'd give it a try.

8. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

you haven't listed how much ram you have in your machine, if its one stick try putting it in a different slot
    If you have more than one stick try them separately in different slots

Sorry i know this can be time consuming, but its necessary to find out if one of your slots has gone bad or if a stick of ram has died

you could also try Memtest to test your ram for errors
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4226.html

if you click on the authors name it will take you to his site with detailed instructions on how to use ;)

9. gameface

gameface Private E-2

ty General,

Only problem is that my computer wasn't made for tinkering. It takes forever just to switch out vid cards, because i have to remove the power supply and the modem first.

AND omg, just to get to the ram, I HAVE TO completly dismantel my cpu.

NEway, thanks for the help. I'll post if nething happens.

10. Caliph

Caliph Private E-2

if ur monitor is ON(tht is, the LED on ur monitor panel is still blinking), and u`re not getting any display, `im quite sure it`s the problem with ur RAM. I`ve had the same problem.
    When i put my stick in the wrong slot, the monitor wud turn ON, but i wud not get any display. then, in the (mobo) manual it was mentioned tht when only oine RAM stick is used, it shud be inserted into the 3rd slot.
    But my bet in ur case is tht the RAM is faulty.

11. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

sorry for the late reply, but to save you some tinkering:

go download memtest86 and run it, this program is DOS based, so you'll need a floppy and insert it before your pc powers on, then run it and if it returns any errors your RAM is bad and you've got to replace it.
    if it doesn't return any errors, you don't have to replace it and as such you don't need to completely dismantle your pc.

12. gameface

gameface Private E-2

Will the mem-test make a log, because since i have no video display I won't be able to see the results?

I'm guessing its an autoexec.bat file?

13. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Sounds like you wont be able to run MemTest then... if youre a) not posting b) not got any video anyways. You'll need to swap the sticks out and around, till you can get it to post. If you STILL cant get it to post, it could be one of a number of other things.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds