Plz Help Me And My Moms Computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Valic, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Valic

Valic Private First Class

well...i was just one a site looking at cars, clicking on them to enlarge, then right clicking to save them to "my pictures" because i wanted some ideas for bodykits i should put on my future car, then out of no where i couldnt right anymore, so i thought it was the mouse so i clicked on the save picture thing(you know...like when you leave the mouse on a pic and it gives you the choices to save, print, send in email etc.)so i x'ed out the site and picture and tryed to go to my documents and my computer both didnt work(just highlited) then i tryed to shut the computer down i clicked on "start" then clicked "turn off computer" but the shut down screen(where you chose restart, stand by, and shut down) never came up, i even press ctrl+alt+delete but it didnt work so i ran out of ideas and turned off the power, after that when i turned it back out if goes to the safe mode screen (as if i press f8 then clicked enter), but it has words up on top, i tryed clicking safe mode, safe mode with networking, start from last best known configuration thing, and start normally, None worked, they all restarted the computer, Someone please Help

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Let's start from the beginning.

What is the make and model of the computer?
    What Operating System are you using (if WinXP, is SP2 installed)?
    What browser?
    What Anti-Virus?
    What Firewall?

If the machine locked up when you attempted to restart the machine, and you got a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death), which had some numbers and other info, you suffered what is called a Kernal Panic, in which the machine stops processing anything and locks up, in which all you can do is power down by pressing the Power button, or if it does not work, unplug the machine.

When you rebooted, you get a [Safe] boot screen which allows you to correct any problems when a computer looses power during log in, or in this case, you had to unplug it when it locked up.

At this point, run SFC /Scannow, and a Check Disk, and look through the Event Logs if WinXP (under Control Panel/Administrative Tools), and if there are errors, let me know.

3. Valic

What is the make and model of the computer? honestly cant remember, wasnt store bought, was put together by a relative with computer show bought parts
    What Operating System are you using ? WinXP but sp2 isnt installed
    What browser? Internet Explorer & aol (internet explorer was used during accident
    What Anti-Virus? suprisingly none, just a few spyware programs
    What Firewall? dont know
    my mother doesnt really know anything about that stuff, i told her to buy norton but she doesnt think she needs it

when ever it restarts you do see a blue screen for like a split second

how do i get to "run SFC /Scannow, and a Check Disk, and look through the Event Logs if WinXP (under Control Panel/Administrative Tools)" because when i try to go thru safemode it restarts

4. Valic

i really need help, i dont know what to do

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Run very quickly before your mother catches what you did to her computer. If you do not know the answers to the questions I asked, you may want to read through the knowledgebases at http://www.microsoft.com.

BTW, you really should have a Anti-Virus on any machine connected to the Net, along with a Firewall, and never be browsing sites that will cause problems.

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Play nice.

@Valic Put the XP cd into the computer and reboot, make sure the BIOS is configured to boot from CD. The initial boot screen will tell you what key to push. Usuakky F1, F2, DEL, or INS; sometimes it is F10.

1. Configure the computer to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. For information about how to do this, see your computer documentation, or contact your computer manufacturer.

2. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

3. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.

4. When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.

5. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you have to use from the Recovery Console.

6. When you are prompted, type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.

[font=&quot]7. At the C:\WINDOWS> prompt, type the following: (Followed by enter)

[/font]
    [font=&quot]SFC /SCANNOW[/font]

[font=&quot]CHKDSK /f /r
    [/font]
    10. Press Enter. At the C:\> prompt, type the following: exit

11. Press Enter.

[font=&quot]The system automatically restarts. Press F8 repeatedly and enter Safe Mode with networking support, and follow the instructions from this thread:

[/font]
    READ ME FIRST BEFORE ASKING FOR SUPPORT: Basic Spyware, Trojan And Virus Removal

Post any unresolved issues from the scans in the Spyware Specific Forum

Also read the following:

NO HIJACK THIS LOG FILES BEFORE READING THIS: HJT Tutorial & LOG File Posting

How to Protect yourself from malware!

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I was wondering when you would show up. Aw come on now, you remember how fast I used to run away when I screwed up dad's machine..

8. Valic

;-( sadly when i clicked enter on the administrator part, it restarted again

9. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Test your system memory. Download and create a CD from ISO image of Memtest86+. Use your favorite CD Burning application to create this bootable CD. DO NOT just burn the ISO to a CD that won't work. Create the CD from the ISO image.

Now reboot your mom's computer with the CD in the drive, making sure the computer is configured to boot from CD in the BIOS. Follow the instructions, if after 5 passes no problems have been found the system memory is OK.

The problem could be hardware related. If you can't boot into normal mode, safe mode or the recovery console, there is little anyone can do for you. Memory, CPU, Motherboard, or the PSU could be the cause of the problem.

10. LoneGreyWolf20

LoneGreyWolf20 Private First Class

I have been looking for a mem tester that I can use on CD rather than floppy disk. I am unsure of your directions though. You say to create teh CD from teh ISO image. How exactly do you do that?

11. Shadow_Puter_Dude

What program do you use to burn CDs?

12. Malkavian

Malkavian Private E-2

do you mean when you entered the administrator password or when you tried to get into recovery console?
    if the computer is too bad, you might want to consider re-installing windows from that cd you have and hope that at least gets you back to desktop to run those scans
    or maybe reformat the whole hardrive if that's possible

also, if you manage to get your computer working again, if your mum doesn't want to buy norton because of the cost, a rather good anti-virus that you might want to advise her to get is avast! it's completely free and doesn't take long to download
    http://www.avast.com/

13. LoneGreyWolf20

LoneGreyWolf20 Private First Class

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. I use Nero 6 as my burning program of choice.

14. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Unzip the file you downloaded it contains the ISO image file. Start Nero Buring ROM. Close the New Compliation Wizard, click-on Recorder in the file menu, select Burn Image..., navigate to the ISO, Write Method: Disc-at-once, click-on Burn.

15. Valic

thanx for everthy thing but my mother was too impatient so she took the computer to my uncle and he said he thinks the whole system is whiped so he fixed the computer but all the files are gone now, i wish she more patient lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds