png files only display in Admin account and not in User accounts

Discussion in 'Software' started by Poppi22, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poppi22

Poppi22 Private E-2

Windows XP SP3 IE7 Version 7.0.5730.13

Updated Adobe Flash and Java (24) and now .png files do not display (red x in a box) in user accounts. Everything is OK in the Admin account. I suppose it is a setting somewhere but I can't find it.

Can you help me please.

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Where are you trying to view the PNG file, in a browser? in Windows explorer?

3. Poppi22

Poppi22 Private E-2

Not actually trying to view a png file but the .png files are parts of web pages I am viewing. Instead of displaying properly I get a RED Xin a box instead. Sorry I should have been more clear on this.

4. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Somewhere in your browsers settings (I don't know which browser you are using) is a setting for showing image placeholders instead of the images themselves. You need to change that setting so that images, not placeholders, are displayed.

5. Poppi22

Poppi22 Private E-2

Once again perhaps I could have been more clear, as I mentioned IE7 and its version in my original post.

The setting you suggest was already in the correct position as you suggested.

Thanks

6. Poppi22

Poppi22 Private E-2

I think I will restate my issue here: Windows XP SP3, InternetExplorer 7 Version 7.0.5730.13

When surfing the web, certain web pages show boxes with a red X in them. By checking the properties I can see that these images/icons/pieces are .png files. This problem only exists on user accounts that do not have Administrative rights. My Admin account, everything is all good and everything looks as it should. Additionally, this only started after I updated Adobe Flash and Java to V 24.

I would appreciate any assistance in how to correct this. Google search turns up any number of hits and solution, none of which work (or at least the ones I tried did not including Microsoft Support KB 283807.

Hope there is a solution.

7. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Poppi22.

Couple of quick questions:

Are the user accounts limited accounts?

What happens if you give a limited user account temporary Admin privileges - do the issues still persist?

This almost sounds like a handshake kind of thing between one of the installers and Windows. I hate to recommend uninstalling/reinstalling either Flash or Java, but if I had to, I'd pick Flash.

Or, a System Restore and uninstall of both updates, see if the symptoms change, then reinstall one update at a time and checking.

Just throwing out possibilities. Agreed that this just may turn out to be a wrong setting, albeit a strange way of suddenly changing like this.

8. Poppi22

Poppi22 Private E-2

Hello and Thanks for your assistance.

User accounts are limited.

Gave one limited user Admin privlidges, problem went away. Put back to Limited, problem still stayed away.

Let me try the other limited user and see what happens...I'll let you know what I find.

9. Poppi22

Poppi22 Private E-2

Sorry I misspoke...if you change the limited accounts to admin, they work fine, even after switching back, closing IE and reopening. However, after logging off and back in (now as a limited user again) the same problem exists....png's are not displayed in web pages, just Red X in a box.

So, how do you recommend I proceed?

10. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Does this behaviour depend on which software is assigned to open .png's?

11. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

12. Caliban

Following up on those, my next steps would be to:

1. Try Firefox.

2. Check .png file associations in all accounts.

3. Prepare to backup all important data from the user accounts, in case this turns out to be a corrupted profile thing caused by something going wrong with the web installs.

sach2's link has a lot of good info, and has links to important documents such as KB283807 and KB313222.

13. Caliban

Forgot the simple steps, dang it:

1. Clear your Temporary Internet Files caches, all users.

2. Download and run CCleaner's files cleaners, all users.

14. Poppi22

Poppi22 Private E-2

Fellas, thanks for all your assistance. I wimped out and upgraded to IE8.

Problems solved.

I appreciate your assistance.

15. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Thanks for the feedback. Did you have to reinstall XP or just install IE8?

16. Caliban

Agreed - sure would be nice to know if this was an IE problem, or if some other issues may be lurking.

17. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Came across this thread about the same issue. OP was able to fix it finally using Microsoft Fixit 50198. But his link for the fixit only references a page that Caliban already referenced (KB313222). The fixit is located here which restores security setting to the defaults.

18. Poppi22

Poppi22 Private E-2

Thought I'd check back in on this...installing IE8 did not completely solve the matter. I am still battling the issue (but not as rigorously). It's not just png's it is also little html snippets, jpg, all different stuff. Randomly. Just seems to leave a little hole here and there in what's displayed.

19. LinkToThePast

LinkToThePast Private E-2

Hi,

I ran into the same issue. Two of my client machines with Windows XP Pro SP3 running IE7 suddenly stopped displaying some image files in IE. This issue would only occur for someone logging on with User or Power User privileges and when the account was upgraded to local Admin privileges, all images displayed correctly in IE. I tried the following to resolve the issue:

1. Ran system restore to date prior to issue happening
    2. Removed client from domain and rejoined
    3. Deleted and recreated user profile
    4. Reset IE settings
    5. Uninstalled and reinstalled IE altogether
    In the end the only thing that worked was resetting the clients' security settings to their default. This made the clients incredibly unstable initially so I will warn you now to take a backup or have an image of the machine handy. The command to reset the security settings is in the following Microsoft KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917925

I hope this is helpful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds