PNy 4gb card not recognized by samsung sch-r451c

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hammer96, Oct 2, 2010.

1. hammer96

hammer96 Private E-2

I recently purchased a new flash memory card from a local store and the phone that I have will not recognize it. My computer will recognize it in the card reader, but for the life of me I cannot get the phone to recognize the card. Every time I try to go to the music player or try to check the amount on the card it says that the card is not installed.

I have tried formatting the card to different systems such as fat and fat32. I have tried finding specifications for the phone to see if the card is compatible with the phone, but I cannot find the specifications for the phone anywhere on the web.

I have tried fully formatting the card, cutting off my phone, inserting the card, but the phone still does not recognize it. I have also tried to let the phone format the card when I got it, but it did not recognize it. Please help.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

You may need to chat to Samsung as some phones may need cards formatted to FAT file format over FAT32 etc, the phone may also need its own format, so look in your manual for into on this.

Is the size of card supported by the phone, some may not accept cards over xGB size, again check with Samsung or the manual.

Not had a Samsung phone for years so not 100% on the above.

3. hammer96

hammer96 Private E-2

Thanks for the quick response.

I have searched the web through Google and found where people have used 4gb sdhc cards and they have not had the problems I have had with mine. Right now I am letting the card fully format to the fat32 system at 4kb allocation size. I have also contacted PNY to find out why my phone will not recognize the card.

4. hammer96

hammer96 Private E-2

The full format to fat32 with 4kb allocation gave me the message that the format could not be completed. I tried the quick format for the same specifications and it completed. I then turned the phone off, inserted the card, restarted the phone, but to no avail. I am going to try the FAT file system with the 4kb allocation size to see if this works.

5. hammer96

hammer96 Private E-2

Just a note: When I got the card and put it in my phone it did not ask me to format it.

6. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Does your phone support SDHC Cards?

7. hammer96

hammer96 Private E-2

Yes it does.

I found a work around. I bought a different brand of card with the same specifications. The woman at the store was nice enough to let me try it and it worked.

I cannot say that it was this particular brand of card that caused the problem. It could be that I just got a bad one. But the brand I got, Sandisk, worked like a charm.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds