Pocket hard drive software

Discussion in 'Software' started by CDI, Mar 13, 2010.

1. CDI

CDI Private E-2

I have just purchased a 350GB pocket hard drive and was wondering what software I need to install to be able to plug it into a different computer and use it as if it was my own computer at home. Hopefully there is software, preferably free, out there to do this with cloning or similar.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

So if I get you right you want to install your Windows version on this HDD and run it as if it was a working PC on any different PC, TBH its hit and miss, better from a eSATA external HDD or using Linux as the OS, but can work on Windows and External HDD as this guide shows HERE but the PC that you will be plugging in this external HDD, "NEEDS" to be able to boot from USB and many may not.

Plus it would be slowish off USB as transfer speeds are not great compaired to eSATA.

If your question is different to able please discribe in more detail what you wish to achieve, but if its just data transfer you are after then thats fine and most USB/eSATA HDDs will work on all PCs, just need to wait 30secs for the driver to load then your off.

3. CDI

CDI Private E-2

You have it exactly right Halo. I do have qualifications about changing someone elses computer to start up from a USB drive though. Would it be possible to use a CD to boot the system on the pocket HD.
    I am using Windows 7 so would I have to try installing that on the pocket HD because I don't think that's possible as my Windows 7 disc is only licensed for one drive and obviously I have used it on my home computer. If that's the case do I need to clone my C: drive onto the pocket HD and if so what's the best free software to do this with? If my C: drive is cloned then could I start that from a CD?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Not all computers have the ability to boot from a USB device. This is based on the BIOS and there would not be a thing you could change to make it possible.

As far as taking your Windows 7 and installing on another hard drive, even external, I don't think that is legal. One copy, one computer. You may find that one of your copies gets tagged and no longer works.

5. CDI

CDI Private E-2

Thanks very much for your opinions. I can see I will have to think again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds