Pointer/mouse Jumps

Discussion in 'Software' started by jessica_melody, Apr 27, 2006.

1. jessica_melody

jessica_melody Private E-2

I have a system that runs Win 98Hebrew Edition with an optical Genius mouse and quite often the pointer on the screen will just jump to what appears to be random places on the screen.. most annoying when it jumps to right above the X to close a window right when you were about to click on something!! I have checked for spyware and malware through several different means and the system consistantly comes up clean.

Any Ideas????
    :confused:

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

To run System File Checker:

1. Click the Start button, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then point to Select System Tools.
    2. Click System Information.
    3. On the menu bar, click Tools.
    4. Click System File Checker.
    5. Choose Scan for altered files

I've found running the system file checker often relieved this symptom, but a word of caution: I'm not certain that 98's version of the system file checker is as reliable as that in later versions of Windows.

3. jessica_melody

jessica_melody Private E-2

Thank you for the idea. I tried it and it didn't come up with anything that needed to be restored.....
    any other ideas?

4. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Hi!

I have the same problem and wanted to try Mada_Milty's suggestion. However, I didn't see a "System File Checker" option. I'm running Windows XP Home, and this is the list that I see from the Tools menu;
    1. Net Diagnostics
    2. System Restore
    3. File Signature Verification Utility
    4. DirectX Diagnostic Tool
    5. Dr. Watson

5. Blueheeler

Blueheeler Private E-2

A common cause for a jumping mouse pointer is an unsuitable surface. Optical mice don't like reflective or irregular surfaces, so try using your mouse on a mouse pad or experiment with other textured even surfaces.
    Regards, Blueheeler.

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

The procedure for Windows XP is slightly different. To run the system file checker in Windows XP, please do the following:

1. Insert your Windows CD (ignore any popups, prompts, etc)
    2. Hit Windows key + r (or click start --> run)
    3. Type 'cmd' (without the quotes)
    4. Hit enter
    5. Type 'sfc /scannow'
    6. Press enter

The system file checker will run, replacing your system files with known good ones from the installation CD.

7. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Thanks, sorry for hijacking this thread. Myself, I've switched to a plain black mousepad that stated "optical mouse friendly". Mouse still has a mind of it's own, lol. I will try XPs version of system file checker. Thanks to everyone!

8. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Thank you, it worked!
    :D

9. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Jessica, are you sure you don't have Smart Move enabled in your mouse properties?

That by design makes the cursor jump to the highlighted button of the dialog box or window.

If not, try updating your video card and meece drivers, or using the meece on another surface.

10. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Sounds like Smart Move in your MouseWare settings is ON to me. I know Smart Move is in the Motion tab with Logitech MouseWare. If Smart Move is checked, uncheck it, press Apply, and then OK to exit. If you still have the same problem, I would go through the RUN ME FIRST guide to make sure you don't have any type of PC infection.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds