Polish XP Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by Haydn, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Haydn

Haydn Private E-2

Have a machine we are needing to do a repair install on (new motherboard+processor as the old where damaged) but its in Polish... :eek:

My friend says that we'll need a polish windows XP disk to reinstall it from as the licence won't work with an english version of the cdrom? :confused:

How correct is this (i thought just repair would work and then change language?) and anyone know where we could source a copy from as the customer does not have any cd-rom's :rolleyes:

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

New one to me. I found Windows XP Pro Polish for 700 bucks :( Otherwise Polish is supported http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292246 so imho, you dont have much choice but to try it. Your customer needs to pay for new XP if they didnt keep it. Odds are they never had a CD.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I would say like MA try it and see but I do think that XP localised ( Polish ) will have a different set of files than that of the general English version, the closest version that may repair it would be the VLK MUI ( aka, multi language ) version that would allow a repair of the OS as that version is essentially an English version with an overlay of the local language, so are essentially the same. BUT to use this you would have to have access to Volume Licence MUI version of XP... which would be more expensive to aquire for an individual than that of the localised Polish version.

To fix a localised version I believe you will need the localized XP CD.

4. Haydn

Haydn Private E-2

thanks for your input guys, cheapest i've found it for was $450, still not really a viable/cost effective option!

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Not at all. If you need to do a repair install, I wonder if you can get to safe mode and try and change the language, just to see if it is a normal XP install, which would make buying XP a bit cheaper.

6. Haydn

Haydn Private E-2

Nope afraid not :(

The guy has ended up buying a new system (with english xp) rather than throwing money at an old system, which is fair enough - but i hate to admit defeat with a repair! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds