poor download rates...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Caliph, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Caliph

Caliph Private E-2

hi,
    i`m using a cable internet connection(at 64 kbps). ya i know, tht`s patheitc and not even cable speed, but i have no choice. Where i live this is one of the reputed ISPs.
    Anyway, my problem is tht i have very poor download rates, as low as 0.5 KB/s. i call the ISP, they say tht i`m getting the alloted speed. But i cannot get any good download speeds. I`m using a Phazer (Coresma) cable modem. I don`t know wat to do. i`m really suffering from poor download rates here.
    Plz help me out. Any ideas on how to increase this speed, or is this the fault fo the ISP? I used to get around 5 KB/s before this slowdown.
    Thanx.

2. pacvan

pacvan Private First Class

That is the problem with cable internet, the more people that start to use it the slower your speed is.

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

you can get better speeds than 64kbs over a standard phoneline,do you have a phone communication network in your area?

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Can you get dsl in your area?

If you can't, then you may want to look into getting satellite inernet. Yes, the ping is in the 1200ms range, but atleast your downloads will be faster.

5. Caliph

Caliph Private E-2

hi,
    there r other dialup connections available here, but i am interested in this connection. i had good speeds of around 5- 6 KB/s, but now nothing. wat i want to know is.. is there any way to change this or to check whether there is some problem with my connection. the ISP says i`m getting the alloted speeds. but my download speeds r really poor.
    plz help.

Thanx

6. Caliph

Caliph Private E-2

errr.... there may be other connections, but DSL has not as yet come here. we have another cable connection at 256 kbps, but they impose a download limit.

7. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

8. Press2Esc

Press2Esc Private E-2

You are probably infected with spyware. Goto BPLSpeedtest to see if your speeds are "in spec". If so, the problem is an infected pc. If not, yank on your isp...

For starters, if it is infected, goto to Trend Micro's Housecall to view/remove the garbage in your system...

P2E

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds