Poor performance or just me?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ManAndDjinn, Dec 8, 2005.

1. ManAndDjinn

ManAndDjinn Private E-2

I bought a cpu/mobo combo and it came in yesterday. I installed it all, formatted and reinstalled windows, and installed counterstrike: source to find I get terrible fps (like 4 fps) with recommended settings. So, I tried benchmarking and I got a score of 937 on 3dmark05.

Specs:

AMD Athlon 3500+
    Gigabyte K8U-939
    1GB PC3200 OCZ Premier Dual Channel (2x512)
    ATI Radeon 9800NP (i'm gonna upgrade soon)

I've installed all of the latest drivers for everything, too.

2. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

you could try uninstalling and reinstalling video driver. also in device manager check to make sure nothing has a yellow !

3. ManAndDjinn

ManAndDjinn Private E-2

everything's fine in device manager and i've already reinstalled the driver with no luck

4. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

although the 9800 is an outdated card it should still be atleast playable are your temps all in safe operating range ? what version of direct x are you running? try a driver a few versions back to see if maybe the driver is at fault.
    your scores should be higher than that IMHO I'm getting 7249 in 3d05

5. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Assuming you have Windows XP, here's the newest edition of Catalyst for the Radeons.

A lot of people don't install the Catalyst Control Center-- they just install the drivers, but I sort of like the CCC. Take your pick.

Catalyst driver for Windows XP

Also may want to check and make sure your BIOS is up to date. There's probably a utility for checking this that came on the CD-ROM with your motherboard.

Hope this helps :)

6. ManAndDjinn

ManAndDjinn Private E-2

I've updated all of my drivers, including bios. I use omega drivers and always have. The card isn't new and i've had no problems with it. Maybe it's something with the cpu.

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

WHAT resolution are you testing with? AA? AF?

8. ManAndDjinn

ManAndDjinn Private E-2

1024x768 no aa or af

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Did you install...the motherboard chipset drivers?

No AGP driver will neuter the card.

10. ManAndDjinn

ManAndDjinn Private E-2

yes all drivers are installed

11. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

This is 3dmark05, it was never intended for a 9800 to be used on it, maybe you get a better coorilated score on 3dmark01, you SHOULD get between 12-18k; if memory serves me. 3dmark05 benches video card only.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds