Poor Sound on Brand New PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rob2830, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Rob2830

Rob2830 Private E-2

Hi All,

Could someone please help me? I've just purchased a new Advent SE2102 desktop PC with Windows 7 from Currys in England and it is performing very well and is much faster than my old PC. The only issue I have is that the volume level is very low and I can hardly hear it from my speakers even when I set the sound to max on the PC itself.

I know there are no problems with the speakers as I was using them with my old PC and the volume was very good.

Currys' tech support lines cost a bomb so before i call them I just want to try to find out if there is a driver or something I can download that might help or hear any opinions of what I might be able to try first?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Many thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Double check the port in the back of the PC is the right one for speakers.

Try this in goto Control Panel > Hardware and Sound and click Sound choose speakers tab and then click Properties > Enhancments > and enable Loudness Equalisation if listed.

Also click the speaker icon in your system tray (by clock) as there is generally two or more volume settings, one for system sounds and one for speakers, make sure one is not too low.

Is the sound too low on say normal windows beeps and noises or is it low on a specific application or when playing video or audio? if audio and video what app are you using for playback.

Do you know what audio maker the PC has Realtek, SoundMax for instance, most have Realtek so in the Start Searck box paste this in RTSndMgr.cpl and see if the Realtek Sound Manager comes up and if so check settings there.

Did look to see if they had any drivers as in updated ones on their TechGuys support site, but noting for that model, you could try emailing them as that should not cost you over the £1.50 per min phone, which IMHO should be free while the PC is within warranty

Email HERE

3. Rob2830

Rob2830 Private E-2

Many thanks Halo,

I've enabled loudness equalisation but it's still the same. The speaker cable is in the right port, it's just that the overall volume is low, including windows beeps and normal playback of mp3s, etc.

I've played around with the realtek settings but nothing improves, so I've just sent an email to Techguys about it and will report back ehat they say.

Thanks again.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Borrow a set of speakers from a friend to try on your pc just to rule out a problem with the speakers.
    I have a set that work fine on a very old computer but are much too soft on a newer computer.

5. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

If your old computer had a sound card with a built-in amplifier then the old speakers will be very low. You might need to get a set of new speakers that have an amplifier built-in.

6. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

This is another suggestion. If you still have sound issues with another pair of speakers you may want to invest in a cheap PCI sound card.

I've never been a fan on onboard sound.

7. Rob2830

Rob2830 Private E-2

My response from the TechGuys was this:

"I suspect the problems you are experiencing are because you are trying to use passive speakers, when your new computer requires active speakers. Passive speakers have no power plug and only connect to the computer. Active speakers also plug into your mains power supply and amplify the sound. Your new computer requires active speakers to get the normal volume levels".

I hadn't thought of that - my old speakers are pretty old. That means I'll have to get an extension cord, but I'll try it.

Thanks all for your replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds