Pop up pranks on my Pc

Discussion in 'Software' started by New Deal, Dec 4, 2014.

1. New Deal

New Deal Private E-2

So I started an Desktop Support internship a months ago and one of my coworkers recently started playing a prank on me by making pop up notifications display on my screen. They make it seem like my computer is talking to me. Today I got a pop saying "what are you getting me for Christmas" and the other day they display a message in Spanish saying "I'm hungry" lol. Is there any way to find out who's doing this? Is there a command I can use to see who connected to my pc or maybe I can look at something in my logs?

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

New Deal...

Best thing I can think of would be to install Private Firewall. Set the settings, so that each pop up shows up center screen and then look over each one carefully. When the script tries to run you should get a prompt. Just pay attention to all of the prompts and select allow but not "remember" to any processes you don't recognize. Whatever you allow that is then followed by the behavior will be the process you are after. This would also apply to internet connection prompts (blue ones in PF). Just don't block any until allowing one brings the behavior (if it's happening over the net). Again, make sure the "Remember" check box is unchecked.

Might be a script along with some sound and graphics files or other media type or media capable files (like a presentation but there are numerous types of these) that someone has put on your PC. Depending what is on that computer, you could search for media files on your PC and try to sift through those. You could also search for .bat files or other script type files to see what that turns up. The program "Everything" would be a help with all of this searching. It will find files by file extension very quickly. If you right click on a .bat file, you can select edit and see what it's for if you know a little bit about script.

There are other types of script files other than just .bat. The types can be found on this site:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/a/execfileext.htm

One other thing I would do would be check over your scheduled tasks in Task Scheduler to see if there are any you don't recognize. Something has to be activating the events...

Also, check in your startup folder to make sure you are familiar with everything in that folder. Search "msconfig" and run that utility. It think it's still there in 8 if that is what you have. It will show all of your startups...

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If this is a restricted network (employer, school etc) rather than a home network you won't be able to install any software to block these messages. Win 7 and later have the msg command and this is most likely how your co-workers are doing it. I doubt you can block them but by studying this you might at least be able to answer back ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds