pop-up window after removing RealPlayer

Discussion in 'Software' started by cumor2, May 19, 2005.

1. cumor2

cumor2 Private E-2

I downlaoded a version of RealPlayer about two and a half years ago. I removed it about 2 weeks ago after I discovered that it was hijacking files to its format when I tried to use Windows Media Player. Now I get a pop-up window everytime I start logging onto the internet via AOL. The window is entitled, "Multimedia Installation" The message reads, "RealPlayer application iw not currently installed on your computer, which means you may not be able to play certain music and video files using RealPlayer file formats. Would you like to install it now?" I always click on "NO". I searched my harddrive for any remaining files with RealPlayer in the title or the content of the file. There are none left now. How can I remove the recurring pop-up window for good without installing RealPlayer? "Real.customer service" was no help. When I finally got to the place where I was supposed to be able send them an email, I kept going into an eternal loop with the hour glass icon showing for as long as I waited, upto 20 minutes. My operating system is: Windows ME, I use a 750 MGhz AMD Duron proccessor.Please consider me a "newbie" I thank you for your time and your help.z

2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Sounds like the computer is looking for the RealPlayer because all those media files are still set to ba associated with RealPlayer by default!! Have you tried to reset all those media files back to Windows Media Player, or whatever media player you are wanting to use...so that way all those files aren't automatically looking for RealPlayer by default!!??

As far as searching for any remaing RealPlayer files...Go into "My Computer" and go to Tools>Folder Options>View...and check, Show hidden Files and Folders, and then make sure to uncheck the box right below that says...Hide file extensions for known file types...then try your search again for any remaining RealPlayer files or folders!!

Also run download and run this...

http://majorgeeks.com/download4191.html

Make sure it is updated after you install and before you run it!! And when you do run it...do not change anything...just click on "Run Cleaner" and let it do its thing!!

Roger

3. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

Real media files (.rm) only plays with real and real alternative.

4. cumor2

cumor2 Private E-2

Re: pop-up window after removing RealPlayer and QuickTime

5. mindyk

mindyk Private E-2

I, too, am having the same problem when I launch AOL ONLY!! Cumor2, did you discover how to remove that RealPlayer pop-up that says, "Multimedia Installation: RealPlayer application is not currently installed on your computer, which means you may not be to play certain music and video files using RealPlayer file formats. Would you like to install it now?" HELP!!

6. mindyk

mindyk Private E-2

I FINALLY got the annoying pop-up to stop!!

For anyone who's interested, here's what I did:

Open AOL>safety>settings>multimedia>uncheck "use the AOL Media Player for supported file types" AND uncheck "use the AOL Media Player as my default CD player"

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds