Popped in to say hello...

Discussion in 'Software' started by cmitchell, Mar 7, 2011.

1. cmitchell

cmitchell Private E-2

I am kind of new here a few years back I had an account and the help I received here was unbelievable. I have learned so much..

I being a good mom or so I thought gave my son my new computer for college and I bought a used desktop to putter on.
    Well the lady that sold it to me never gave me the password.
    The computer has no c drive so I have to use a usb device to reformat windows to get in.

So my new challange is to learn how to do this.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I really don't want to trash the system but if need be I guess off to be recycled it shall be.

Have a great evening everyone..:)

Some days I feel like the little Oak seed looking up at the big tree so much growing to do..

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, cmitchell.

Welcome aboard! :major

By this, do you mean there is no physical hard drive in the machine?

3. cmitchell

cmitchell Private E-2

Sorry ,
    I mean that there is no place for discs. I have never seen a computer that could not take discs before but this one uses a flash drive I guess to add the windows operating system..
    Had I known that it would not take discs I would never have bought it.
    Thank you

Carolyn

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Hi, Carolyn.

This is a desktop computer? If so, it's very likely that there was an optical drive, but it has been removed. What's the make and model # (please include any Service Pack #s) of the computer?

Windows can be installed via flash drive, but it's a tricky, complicated process. Frankly, I think your best bet would be to purchase and install an optical drive (either internal or external) - not only would this vastly improve your chances of performing a smooth Windows format/reinstall, but the drive will come in handy in the future.

5. cmitchell

cmitchell Private E-2

6. cmitchell

cmitchell Private E-2

I just wanted to add to my last post I just read about unplugging the computer, finding a nickel size battery in the computer and removing it for 15 minutes putting it back in and turning the computer back on, may bypass windows passwords. Do desktops have this type of battery or is this just laptops?

Thank you so much for all your help.

Carolyn

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

CMOS battery. About the size of a quarter.
    Looks like a watch battery on steroids.
    Every desktop I have ever been inside of has had them.

8. F4tal3rror

F4tal3rror Private E-2

I gather you aren't able to get in contact with the person you purchased the computer from.

Whether that will be able to help depends on...
    does the need for a password come before or after windows starts?

if it's before windows (still the cmos booting, with a black screen, and text) then removing the cmos battery will indeed help.

If however, it's after windows has started, and you are picking users to log in (administrator/joe blow) this wont help, and you'll need to reformat the machine.

9. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Re-formatting the machine is not necessary if she wishes to obtain the login password so she can login on the machine.

Ophcrack USB Booting Windows Password Recovery for Windows XP or Vista

However, resetting the password using Offline NT Password & Registry Editor involves mounting a virtual drive to build the CD or USB bootable flashdrive.

Reset Windows XP, Vista, 7 Password Using USB Drive or CD

* Access to a working pc and intermediate skill level required for the above procedures.

dr.m

10. F4tal3rror

F4tal3rror Private E-2

There are also official disks in the industry to do similar things, but i went for the simpler option.
    If she has the understanding, that could be a good option though.

11. cmitchell

cmitchell Private E-2

I had some success to a point I took the battery out of the computer and it over rode one password. but not the windows xp one.
    I tried the above and did manage to get some files to open to the flash drive but they would not open when I turned the computer on.

I am able to get into the advanced BIOS by using F 10 and am wondering if one of my problems lies there. This was previously all locked up until I took the desktop battery out....

This is what it says

Advanced BIOS
    Quick Power on self test [enabled]
    First Boot Device [ATA Flash]
    Second Boot Device [ATA Flash]
    Third Boot Device [Network]
    Security Option Setup [setup]
    F12 Boot [enabled]

Not sure if my settings are wrong or not

I thank you guys for all the help it truly is appreciated

Carolyn :)

12. cmitchell

cmitchell Private E-2

So I did everything that the OPH Crack page including formatting the usb to a fat file.
    I also got into the advancedbios and have the 1st set as USB
    Now the problem I am having is what the picture I am attaching is saying

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
    Carolyn
    [​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds