port 21 blocked, but why?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gotlisch, Oct 4, 2006.

1. gotlisch

gotlisch Private E-2

Hi Guys,

I have a major problem - My port 21 seems to be blocked.

This might not be so strange if it wasn't for the fact that I do not have
    any firewall installed, and i don't have windows firewall activated.

I've runned a programme called ScanPort, and it shows that port 21
    and more or less everyother port is blocked, BUT BY WHAT!??

This is driving me crazy:eek: , I need to be able to connect to my
    ftp host, but I can't.

Does anyone have any sugestions?

Cheers,

Mikael

2. Higara7

Higara7 Private E-2

Do you have spyware protection? Unless you have really good protection, stuff can sneak in and really cause a mess. One time I had all my USB ports completely shut down even though I had Norton Antivirus. In the end, I had to send it back through a warranty so the problem could be fixed.

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Many ISPs block port 21 coz they do not want that people to run ftp servers from home.

:D

4. gotlisch

gotlisch Private E-2

I've talked to them and they don't block port 21 - also I was running port scan
    on my local machine and it says it's blocked localy....

Buhu...:rolleyes:
    cheers,

Mikael

5. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Are you sure your ftp server is running, and that it is running on port 21.

Run a netstat and check if its listening.

6. gotlisch

gotlisch Private E-2

I'm not trying to set up an FTP server,
    I'm just trying to connect to one...

cheers,

Mikael

7. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

are you trying to connect to a ftp server on your local machine or on a remote machine ?

8. gotlisch

gotlisch Private E-2

I'm trying to connect to a remote FTP server, but i scanned my local ports using Portscan, and it showed that port 21 was blocked.

Does that clairfy things?

Cheers,

Mikael

9. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

If you are attempting to connect to an ftp server in a remote location (Not on your local machine or inside your network) then why are you scanning your local machine for open ports ? its obviously going to say port 21 is blocked unless you actually have an ftp server running there since there will be no listening port.

If you ARE running it on the local machine then running the netstat command will tell you if the local service is running with a listening port something like: 0.0.0.0:21.

What program are you using to connect to the ftp server ? Have you spoken to whoever is hosting it to check it is online ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds