Port Forwarding through Router then DSL Modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jrstark79, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Jrstark79

Jrstark79 Private E-2

This is my first post at Major Geeks, I have found so many other answers here and recently found a program that will allow me to increase my fan speed while gaming as it was always only running at 25% Thanks guys. I am now attempting to forward a port through a router then a DSL modem.

I am connected wireless to my Linksys WRT54GS and have been able to forward ports via that router. Unfortunately, I have a Actiontec M1000 DSL modem in which I need assistance in forwarding ports.

I have access to both the router and modem configuration page. Unfortunately I am unable to figure out how to forward the port on the M1000. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to networking. I know enough to break the configuration and have to reset both of them. I would greatly appreciate any assistance that can be had here.

2. Jrstark79

Jrstark79 Private E-2

Anyone Please help?!?!?!?!?!?!

3. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

are you using two routers or are you just using the linksys as a switch and wireless access point? that actiontec is a router from what i see on the website.

4. Jrstark79

Jrstark79 Private E-2

are you using two routers or are you just using the linksys as a switch and wireless access point? that actiontec is a router from what i see on the website.

The M1000 has the ability to be wireless, unfortunately I do not have that adapter and it only has one ethernet port hence the lynksys wrtg54gs. I have two computers hardlined from that router, then I have 4 other computers connecting wirelessly.

I have done some research. What I came up with was setting the M1000 as an invisible bridge I think it's called. Enabling DMZ. Well, when I do that I am able to forward ports, but the wireless PC's are having issues with reliability with connecting to webpages. I haven't been able to test the speed when I have the M1000 in DMZ hosting mode, and the router in PPPoE mode. So that option is out of the question. It is quite annoying. I may set the routers to default and try again.

Thanks for the reply KingSteve

5. Jrstark79

Jrstark79 Private E-2

Issue resolved. I upgraded the firmware to my actiontec m1000. My WRT54gs firmware was already 7.2.06, what could be obtained from Linksys was 7.2.05, so I left it alone. I enabled DMZ hosting on my M1000 and activated PPPoE on my wrt54GS and bingo issue resolved ports are forwarded for some ports but not others, oh well I'll deal with that only really need one port forwarded.

6. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

Weird setup man, glad you got it figured out though. Thanks for posting the solution, much appreciated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds