Port forwarding trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bjornhall, Jan 13, 2008.

1. bjornhall

bjornhall Private E-2

Hi,

I want to be able to receive ICQ file transfers through my modem/router, and I can't get it to work... If anyone can tell me how to get it sorted I would really appreciate it!

I have specified that ICQ shall use ports 24500 - 24505 (tuneld.com suggestion), I have forwarded those ports through the Windows XP firewall, but I can't seem to get them forwarded through the router.

In the port forwarding settings on my router (a Xavi X5258-P2), I set 'source IP' to 0.0.0.0 (I want to forward incoming calls from any computer), 'destination IP' to 192.168.1.3 (my PC's internal IP). 'Destination Mask' is 255.255.255.255 by default and I can't change that. 'Source Mask' I have no idea what to do with, it defaults to 255.255.255.255 as well, but perhaps I should enter something else there?

Does anyone know what I am missing; perhaps something to do with the source or destination masks?

Is there some application I can use for testing while trying to get this sorted, rather than the tedious (for them!) process of asking people to try and send me files each time I try a new setting?

As a last ditch effort, before I can get this to work properly, is there a way that I can tell my router to just forward all incoming traffic to my computer?

Thanks for any help!

Best,
    /Björn

2. jnorman10

jnorman10 Private E-2

sounds like that subnet mask is going to be one of the issues... but there's something else going on as well mate. Have you checked with Xavi support for your router and see what they say for the port forwarding features? Cheers and good luck.

3. bjornhall

bjornhall Private E-2

Thanks! I can't seem to locate any Xavi support; you need an account to use the support at their site...

4. jnorman10

jnorman10 Private E-2

imagine that... well, short of saying "get a new router", maybe you can bypass the rtr and try it that way or is it an actual dual modem - router combo deal?

You just wanting to use the router for security purposes or what?

You might want to check with your ISP and see if they are blocking those ports... every ISP is different, so who knows...

good luck

5. bjornhall

bjornhall Private E-2

It's "all in one", ADSL modem, WLAN, router... I have found out that different ISPs use the set differently when they deliver it; some set it up as a "simple modem" (i.e., bridge it), but mine set it up as a full-blown router (NAT).

Would be nice to have the safety features still enabled... It's strange tho', this stuff should be really straightforward... :confused

I know it can be made to work, because I actually had it working previously... *embarrassed* I got it configured, all worked fine, half a year later I had to restart the modem for some reason, and only then did I realize there is some setting on a totally different menu that allows it to remember the new settings after a reboot... Now I can't remember how I did it the first time... :banghead

Oh well...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds