portable external drive...who makes..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jak3y, Jul 19, 2005.

1. jak3y

jak3y Guest

one that is strictly a usb external harddrive without the cable...with 200gigs...
    i could have sworn i saw one on sandisk's site a few months ago...it fit in the palm of a hand...with a usb that popped out...it was 200gigs...
    ...or anyone know who makes one something similar to what i described...i'd rather have something like it versus one where software has to be installed, as well as something that doesn't require a cable...thanks...

2. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

3. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

200g I think it is not a Latop HD so I think you need 5/12V power to plugin and a USB cab for it :D

4. jak3y

jak3y Guest

id really like one that doesn't require a cd to run it.
    wyatt, you led me to the one i saw before and i dont think it requires a cd
    http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=110
    this is the one i was looking for, but only 80gigs...
    a friend bought some kind of adapter usb thing that all you needed was to buy a laptop harddrive and voila that was it...but again, only 80Gigs is the biggest...but for some reason when he plugged it in through his usb, the computer didn't detect it...

5. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

What OS your friends use ?
    is the 5v USB stable for 80G HDD ?

6. jak3y

jak3y Guest

upgrade to xp-home from 98se...as for whether or not it was stable im not sure...i'd have to ask him and i thought he knew about computers lol...
    so what im getting from your ? is that the usb alone might not handle the 80gigs?

7. belama

belama Private E-2

Normally you dont "need a CD" to run these external Hard Drives. However, they come with a CD containing USB2 drivers in case you dont have them installed already. If your PC doesnt have USB2 compatible ports, file transfer from the HD would be very slow (USB1.1 rates).

If you want, you can buy a seperate laptop HD and an enclosure for it. You will save some bucks. There are some enclosures at tigerdirect.com.

8. jak3y

jak3y Guest

thanks belama, my buddy has an hd enclosure, so we're wondering why our friends computer wouldn't read it.
    as for tigerdirect...no thanks...heard too many problems with those guys and returns, as well as warranty issues. :)
    but im going to check out the local computer stores around here, some good prices as well.

9. belama

belama Private E-2

The computer wont read it at all? Does it at least detect a new hardware that was plugged in the USB port? If not, does any other USB peripheral get detected in this port?

10. jak3y

jak3y Guest

my 512kingston usb key does without a problem...so that's what we're trying to figure out :confused:

11. belama

belama Private E-2

So you take the drive, plug it in, power it up, then if you have WinXP, it should be detected and a yellow bubble should appear at the bottom right corner of your screen. Does it appear?

12. jak3y

jak3y Guest

tried it and nothing happened but the LED on the external HD went on...but that was it.

13. belama

belama Private E-2

So was it already in the enclosure or you installed it yourself? You might have set the wrong jumper setting. Most enclosures require you to set the jumper to CS, not master, nor slave.

14. jak3y

jak3y Guest

ill check it later today/night...when i drop by his house...thanks, ill post the result later :)
    hope this solves it...cuz i would like to get one like that myself

15. jak3y

jak3y Guest

belama, opened the closure took out the HD and couldn't find anywhere to put the thing on CS...unless it was the 2 pairs of pins...(which i think it was...but nothing to put over them or "set" them...the lil piece of plastic that is...could barely make out the letters anyway...but the computer didnt acknowledge the drive on restart or anything...heard the connecting sound...but no drive showing...my usb key worked fine.

16. belama

belama Private E-2

what brand and model is the HD? CS is Cable Select by the way if it can help.

17. jak3y

jak3y Guest

figured out the problem...the front USB was not 2.0, even though the internal cable was attached to the motherboard which is 2.0, the cable probably wasn't 2.0 compliant, when attached from the back, the drive read fine...thanks for your help regardless :)......

18. belama

belama Private E-2

It should've still worked with usb1.1 but just slower.

19. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

20. jak3y

jak3y Guest

well no idea, it worked, DIRECTLY from the back of the motherboard, versus, plugging it in the front (which as i said before) was running off the MOBO with a an internal cable which possibly wasn't 2.0...belama i have no idea why it didn't work... :confused:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds