Portable External Hard Drives Stopped

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ervinsean, Jun 29, 2008.

1. ervinsean

ervinsean Private E-2

I've had a Portable 250GB(MDL: WD2500U017-005) Western Digital hard drive for 6mths until it just stopped working. I tried it on other computers and still nothing, i can hear the hard drive spinning inside & the light is on but no computer recognizes it. I then bought a Toshiba 320GB(MDL: HDDR320E03X) Portable hard drive last month & i guess the hard drive fairy cursed me again because it also stopped working. I then tried it on other computers, but no dice, the light just comes on. As you can imagine i am quite frustrated, does anyone know what i can do for these things to work short of buying another one.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Very weird issue, especially if the drive will not work on other PCs! As the drives are still within warranty period, have you raised a support call with the makers?

What windows version you using?

Do you get any error or notification messages when the drives are plugged in and you try to access the contents via My Computer? if so what are they.

Another thing to try is to delete the external drives driver file as its USB mass driver "may" have become corrupt, so to do this open Device Manager and open the USB branch, then plug in your USB drive and hopefully it will refresh and you should see the USB Mass driver ( as in mine below pic ) then right click it and choose uninstall, then reboot and plug your USB drive in and windows should start to re-recognise the drive and install the USB driver again.

[​IMG]

Will need to do same for other ext HD as its USB Mass driver will have different signature, so only plug one drive in at a time, to do the uninstalling re-install of USB Driver.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds