Portable operating system or PC Anywhere?

Discussion in 'Software' started by kmblw, Sep 28, 2014.

1. kmblw

kmblw Private E-2

Any advice would be appreciated because I'm just starting to think about this.

At work there isn't really anywhere to conveniently bring my own laptop and access the WiFi there. Therefore, I'm thinking about using a portable OS on a flash drive or using some sort of software like PC Anywhere to access my computer while it's at home. It would be nice to be able to take care of some personal business on my lunch break on a computer, and it would seem a lot easier if I had all my programs handy.

One thing to keep in mind, is even the wired internet at work is super slow, if that makes any difference with using the PC Anywhere.

I've never used either of these so opinions are welcome.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

The question is would your workplace allow the installation of PC Anywhere on their computers or wifi use other than for their business purposes.

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Teamviewer can be installed and wait at home for a connection. You can run the tamviewer client without installing it - depending on how the work PCs are locked down.

ThinVNC can be ran at home, you have to get a dynamic dns service and do some port forwarding, but you use a browser to connect. No install on the work PC.

PC Anywhere cost $$ and like they said you have to install the client on the PC.

Portable OS, don't get that one, other than you could boot to Linux and avoid Windows restrictions, but if your Internet access depends on AD, it will not work. Is the wifi for BYOD? (bring your own device) unfiltered access? If not, you up a creek there too.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds