Position of wireless router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TomHudson57, Oct 14, 2011.

1. TomHudson57

TomHudson57 Private E-2

I work in a small office. Currently, we have a server that I understand is used mainly in a peer to peer network. We use Comcast internet service. The coax cable is connected to a Comcast modem. A data cable is connected from the modem to a NetGear wireless router. From the wireless router, a data cable is connected to a switch box. From the switch box, a data cable is connected to the server.

Can we just run a data cable directly from the modem to the switch box and plug in the wireless router into a data wall outlet located somewhere else in the office?

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

3. BECH

BECH Private E-2

It would make more sense to me to run it the way you are suggesting. Make it a direct line from the modem to the switch box and connect everything else to the switch box. There may be some settings that need adjustment, but I would go that direction.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds