possible motherboard problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lynyrd77, Dec 22, 2007.

1. lynyrd77

lynyrd77 Private E-2

Happy Holidays folks!
    When I shut down my pc, I have a red led light glowing near the battery on the motherboard and the power supply fan and processor fans stay on until I unplug the power cord from the case. Also the case fan starts up wehn you power up the pc but is a few seconds it stops. Any Ideas? It is an Intel board 2 years old, with an intel dual core type Pentium 4 2.8 mhz E4100 processor (Hyper Threading technology) Other than that is runs just fine. By the way it is a Gateway Desktop Apprecate any help you could offer.
    Thanks,
    Lynyrd

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I've seen many PC's "spin up" real quick right when the power cord is plugged in, but I don't think I've ever seen one where the CPU fan and PSU fan kept spinning until the power cord was yanked.... strange :confused Have you tried a different power supply? Maybe one with it's own switch on the back. If the CPU and PSU fans continue spinning with a different power supply, it's most likely the motherboard not "letting go" of standby power or voltage; that's what the LED is on your MB near the battery: it's a standby power indicator showing that juice is flowing to the board. It's there so it'll be obvious that the MB is still 'hot' if you were in the case swapping RAM or video cards... You'd see the LED and know to unplug the power cord.

Happy Holidays! :D
    and Welcome to MajorGeeks :major

3. Natakel

Natakel Guest

Welcome to Major Geeks!

Has it always done this? I worked on a buddy's PC once, and his had a feature called "cooling after" which would run the CPU and case fans after the system was shut down to vent any residual heat. It would only run for a minute or so though, not longer then that.

The light on the motherboard is probably as dlb stated - it just indicates that there is still power going to the board. Most motherboards have such, though the ones I'm used too are green.

Happy Holidays!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds