Possible new system build - advice needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jpmad4it, Sep 25, 2005.

1. jpmad4it

jpmad4it Private E-2

Hey there

I've been thinking about building a new system for a while, and now that the next generation of hardware are coming out i wanted to ask for some adivce.

I was thinking of the following system:

-Antec P180 case - already have this
    -Tagen 480W PSU - will this provide enough power for this kind of system

-Epox EP-5LDA + GLi
    OR
    -Epox EP-5NVA+ SLi
    OR
    -Gigabyte GA-8N-SLi Royale

What is the difference between SLi and GLi?? Plus which of these is best for running my desired setup. Also, will these provide useful for future expansion/upgrades?

-Intel P4 LGA775 Prescott 3.73GHz Extreme Edtion with HT (1066FSB)
    OR
    -Intel P4 Extreme Edition 840 Dual Core LGA775 Smithfield 3.2 Ghz (800FSB) with HT

Which is the best out of these 2 processors? What is Dual Core technology?

-G-Skill 1GB DDR PC4800 Memory

-ATI Radeon X850 XT Platinum Edition 256MB (PCI Express)
    OR
    -GeForce 7800 GT 256MB (PCI Express)

Which of these graphics cards is the best? Or are they very similar?

-Waterchill watercooling KT12AT-L30 Atarctica

any help or suggestions will be great.

regards J

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Hi m8,for a watercooled duel core 7800gt system I go with a little beefier power supply

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=230450

I would also not get an epox mobo or gigabyte,they just arnt the kind of strong backbone you need for a system like this

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=209419

the 7800gt is the best,for your water cooling consider building your own system with the best parts available

check out this-

http://gruntville.com/kingofthehill.php

:cool:

3. jpmad4it

jpmad4it Private E-2

thanks mate - thats made it a bit clearer. Just when you think you are clued up on hardware, you blink and theres are a whole new load of next gen stuff out on the market!!!

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

NP M8 :cool: let me know what your final decisions are and how your build go's

5. stiched

stiched Private First Class

i dont know a great deal but im better tha nothing:p i hope

-Intel P4 Extreme Edition 840 Dual Core LGA775 Smithfield 3.2 Ghz (800FSB) with HT

Which is the best out of these 2 processors? What is Dual Core technology?
    well dual core is the latest type of processor, it is better for multitasking as it has 2 processors built into it, however it does not deliver the same performance as a regular processor. if ur playing games and using the processor for one thing at a time, i would go for the -Intel P4 LGA775 Prescott 3.73GHz Extreme Edtion with HT (1066FSB), not that it should make a dfference with a system like yours anyway:p

-ATI Radeon X850 XT Platinum Edition 256MB (PCI Express)
    OR
    -GeForce 7800 GT 256MB (PCI Express)

Which of these graphics cards is the best? Or are they very similar?

well streight away id go for the 7800 as i ahve heard it is the most powerful series of graphics card on the earth lol, their both similar yes but i thing the 7800 has the edge in performance

you could do with some dual channel memory too as therest of your system is soo good as well. :D hope i helped

6. jpmad4it

jpmad4it Private E-2

cheers.

by the time i have my money saved up, a whole new range of hardware will be available anyway :)

i hear the 7800 GT is even better than the 7800 :)

rgds J

7. kiwiredman10

kiwiredman10 Private E-2

Wait a little for ATI's R520 (or as they call it now, the X1800) that'll blow em all out of the water!

(Im an ATI junky).

Kiwi

8. jpmad4it

jpmad4it Private E-2

is that a PCI express card?

9. kiwiredman10

kiwiredman10 Private E-2

It will be yes.

Kiwi

10. jpmad4it

jpmad4it Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds