Possible power supply problem (hopefully)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ANiMEL0VER, Jun 22, 2011.

1. ANiMEL0VER

ANiMEL0VER Private E-2

Well i have a HP Pavilion a1700n desktop computer :-o and while i was on it, it just randomly powered down all on its own. The green LED light by the power supply blinks rapidly and the computer doesn't power on at all. I guess im asking is it the power supply that is bad or has the motherboard been damaged also. Thanks for the responses in advance :)

2. TacticalSiege

TacticalSiege Private E-2

Have you tried completely unplugging the power and leaving it for a few minutes? Maybe something is over heating, what were you doing at the time? Was there any lag before it shut down?

3. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

4. ANiMEL0VER

ANiMEL0VER Private E-2

Yes ive unplugged it for a day now, plugged it back in and the light still flashes and it makes a ticking sound...i was typing a paper when it just shutdown and no there was no lag before it shutdown

5. TacticalSiege

What was making the ticking sound exactly?

6. ANiMEL0VER

ANiMEL0VER Private E-2

the power supply was

7. TacticalSiege

Sounds like it's shorting out... I don't suggest continuing to try and use it, it may damage your hardware. Is it old?

8. ANiMEL0VER

ANiMEL0VER Private E-2

id say about 4yrs old...but its already given out. my computer doesn't even turn on :cry

9. TacticalSiege

Don't you have a spare one?

10. ANiMEL0VER

ANiMEL0VER Private E-2

well im going to buy one, but i just wanted to make sure it was a PSU problem and not a motherboard problem. The old one was a 300W Bestec and im thinking of getting like a 500W Antec

11. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

You have to be careful about HP computers and power supplies. Hp generally uses a smaller dimensioned unit so a standard ATX power supply won't fit the case.

Give the model of computer and someone can check about the size of the PSU. EDIT: I see you already gave the model number and I just checked it is a standard ATX dimensions so you are fine shopping around for a replacement from Antec or your company of choice.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds