Possible Software Conflict?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Big_Al, May 25, 2004.

1. Big_Al

Big_Al Private E-2

Hello,
    Recently I have noticed that the hourglass next to my mouse pointer stays on at all times, as if there are programs running in the background, or possibly a hardware/software conflict? The strange this is the only way to solve the problem is by connecting to the internet. Once I'm connected, the hourglass immediately disappears. I don't notice a decrease in performance; it's just bothersome more than anything. I am running Windows XP Home, Athlon 1800 with 512 megs of RAM. I am also using DSL. This problem started a few days ago, and I haven't made any software or hardware changes in months. I tried shutting down all programs with msconfig and also installed all Windows updates. Is there something I'm missing?
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris

2. Big_Al

Big_Al Private E-2

Thanks fellas. I will give those a try. :)

3. Big_Al

Big_Al Private E-2

Robo....

I just wanted to say that you were right. The button selected was "dial whenever a network connection is not available". I don't know how that happened because I sure didn't change it, but I set it back to "never dial a connection." Thanks so much for the help. Incredibly helpful site here. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds