possible to build a 700$ comp with this processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by debauchee, Jun 14, 2010.

1. debauchee

debauchee Private E-2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849

I want something that wont go out of date for awhile, I purchased my first computer for 600$ and it isn't even a dual core so right now i'm having tons of problems multitasking and such. so I want to build something that I can upgrade and will allow me to enjoy doing things for quite awhile.

budget is going to be about 700~800 maybe and since the processor is 300$ alone i might have to skimp a little on other things.

I dont need keyboard mouse or monitor and would like the computer to be used for games mostly and some videos like streaming netflix

ps. prefer no onboard video cards

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

If you want a computer now I would skip the 6 core and get a AMD quad 3.2 for around 140$ which would leave enough to build a computer.

You defiantly shouldn't skip out on a good quality power supply.

IMO 6 cores is overkill and isn't needed. Some stuff doesn't even need a quad core.

EDIT:

I meant what games.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  3. debauchee

debauchee Private E-2

it will be used for playing games (mostly mmo's) and watching movies on

4. debauchee

debauchee Private E-2

cant edit anymore :S but games like counter strike, fallout, bioshock, doom3, maplestory trickster online and WoW and maybe other fps games(havent had a good comp for a long time so not sure whats out)

5. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I just put together a build and it would cost about $850 with os and a quad core AMD before tax and shipping.

6. debauchee

debauchee Private E-2

can you link me it or list it?

7. Main Frame

Main Frame Corporal

Your video card is going to be maxed out wayyy before that processor. I just built a core i5 system with a Radeon 5770 and my CPU load only hits about 50% when the GPU is already maxed out.

In other words, for gaming you would be better off using a cheaper processor and put the extra money towards a better video card. Your game performance would be the same with a CPU that's half the price because the video card is the bottleneck.

8. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

If you are running graphics on your GPU your CPU will not max out.

I have a GTX 470 coupled with the Intel i7 running hard on folding and my CPU is around 12%.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds