Possible to do repair install with win 98 cd

Discussion in 'Software' started by rogvalcox, May 11, 2005.

1. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

As retarded as this may sound!!!! Keep in mind that I didn't become a potential computer geek until XP and/or 2000 were the mainstream!! that being the case...i'm curious if you can do a repair install from the Windows 98 install cd like you would with XP or 2000, so that it will repair windows but not touch anything else (other applications) on the hard drive!!!!?????

Is that possible or is that something that didn't become available until Windows 2000??

Roger

2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Maybe I better clear this up a bit!!!!

What i'm asking is in order to repair an existing windows98 install!! I didn't mean, using a windows 98 cd to repair XP or 2000!!

Just wanted to make sure you understood what I was saying!!

Thanks
    Roger

3. Howdy B

Howdy B Private E-2

Just reinstall win 98 right over existing install. I've done this several times.Programs usually work ok. Some settings will need to be reset .
    Some drivers may need to be reinstalled , mainly usb devices.

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

That's basically what a repair in XP does, reinstalls Windows over itself.

Just don't format and you won't lose any settings.

5. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Ok...so just to make sure I understand what you are saying...I just do a regular install on the same partition as the pre-existing windows, and as long as I don't delete any partitions and/or format anything... it will just overwrite all the windows files, but leave everything else as is and operable (won't have to reinstall all the programs)!!!!????

I kind of figured that was what XP and 2000 did, but, like I said...I'm not as firmiliar with 98!!

So if you can just let me know if we are on the same page here...I greatly appreciate it!!!!

Roger

6. Robert

Robert Sergeant

Hi There
    I dug deep for this but it may be the way to go if I understand your problem correctly
    Fixingw98 without reinstall

"Got problems and don't want to reinstall... Don't wanna lose any of your
    settings or software? There's a command line option that'll get you back on
    your feet in no time. Boot up your PC with a Windows 98 boot disk, pop in your
    Windows 98 CD, and once you're at the command prompt, type your CD-ROM drive
    letter immediately followed by a colon. So, if your CD was set to "D" you'd
    enter D: and then hit ENTER. At this point, type the following command: SETUP /pf. This switch will restore all of Windows critical files to their factory
    state, and in 99% of situations doing this will fix whatever problems you were
    having in Windows 98." - From the free Tips download at http://www.x9000.net/.
    UNQUOTE
    Cheers
    Robert

7. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Thanks Robert...I appreciate the effort!!! I'll have to try that and see if it works!!

I'm working on a friends computer, and I'm trying not to run the risk of loosing all of her stuff she has on there now!! I've cleaned gobs of spyware and a couple of viruses off there, but in the meantime, when i'm trying to utilize a program that is required in order for me to complete this project...it appears as though there are some missing and/or corrupt OS files that won't let me install things like Spybot S&D!! And in order for me to compete my mission, I need to be able to use these necessary programs!!

I'm actually better than average when it comes to working on comuters (not meaning to brag) but unfortunately...My experience comes with XP and 2000!! And being that she has 98, I was just looking for reaffirmation, before I tried anything risky like a repair install!!!!! Being that she has Win 98, with NO updates (can you believe that!!) I figured I would just repair windows instead of fighting each and every individual problem!! Then I might be able to complete my mission!!

If anybody has any other suggestions, I'm all ears!!!!

Thanks Again
    Roger

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds