Possible Virus. Not Sure

Discussion in 'Malware Help - Public (Anyone Can Post & Respond)' started by ChrisOnline, Nov 30, 2016.

1. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Sorry it took a bit to respond. Sometimes I'm not getting an email alert when a reply is posted.

So yea powersupply looks ok and there's no option to roll back Nvidia drivers or anything.

Only thing I can do is disable and uninstall. Have tried both and neither fix it.

Good eye btw on the on board. If I could at least get that going somehow then it would speed up our productivity on tackling this Nvidia issue as well.

2. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

My bad. Yea I see roll back driver but it's grayed out.

3. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

If I uninstall the graphics card from device manager and then scan for hardware changes without rebooting or anything the card comes back with driver

And still doesn't work and still won't let me select the roll back option or anything.

4. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

We will have to search for a driver that works.And make sure it doesn't automatically update.

Have you tried updating the mother board using the Asus website.

I can't past links on cell.I think you might have been using the driver's from there.I got kinda frustrated yesterday.I normally help fix issues quickly.

Your mob number is P8Z77-V
    Check the Asus website.

5. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Thanks and you're fine don't get discouraged. I greatly appreciate all of the help. I will check and get the driver tonight or in the morning when free and report back. Thanks.

6. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Ok I went to the Asus site and searched the number you gave me. There only seemed to be one result so clicked it. Went to drivers and they only have drivers for Windows 7 and 8.

I've had windows 10 on this pc for a few months now and haven't experienced an issue.

7. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

Let's try the iobit driver booster let's see what happens.I have used iobit for years since beta tester.Never have had an issue.

Strutldbug as a link for it on the first page.Just make sure you install the driver's you need.

The free version only allows up to ten driver's to be installed.There product is pretty good for the price.

8. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

I didn't see the motherboard listed anywhere. Not on out of date nor up to date section. Unless they have it worded different?

9. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

Soz not getting back sooner ... too many local distractions:( Regarding the Nvidia, I kind of expected the greyed roll back selection. It usually means there isn't any driver to roll back to. I spent some time investigating the Nvidia, while you were focusing on the MOBO. I think I've an idea how to solve the Nvidia problem, but it can wait for the onboard. For now, leave the Nividia disabled in the device manager. My idea requires the use of safe mode to run DDU to clean out anything left of the 376.09 driver. First, you need to download DDU if you haven't yet,
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/display_driver_uninstaller.html and then my suggested previous driver from here:
    http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/108326 The rub is you need to get into safe mode to use DDU. I think I found a way to do that in case the onboard isn't working and to be able to use Team Viewer in safe mode with networking. Checkout Brink's tutorial here (Option One):
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3247-safe-mode-add-desktop-context-menu-windows-10-a.html

Background for this can be found in my prior posts in this thread, posts 171 thru 174 here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/a-call-to-folding.288775/page-4 This Nvidia thread goes over a year back: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...windows-10-how-i-solved-the-code-43-error-/1/ and a number of others, searched for nvidia error code 43.

The reason I leave all this with you is that at my age, I'm never certain I'll get back to it tomorrow.:D

... and yup, stop windows from updating the display drivers, if you can. Tomorrow, I'll try and look into the MOBO, too.

10. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Thanks. I'll definitely try that if we can't get the on board working.

What would motherboard be under in drive booster? I didn't see it anywhere on either tab.

11. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

It might be called system devices, which I think is the term, device manager uses.

Does this look like your board, displayed here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LX/ and I did find a group of FAQs here:
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LK/helpdesk/ Pages 3 and 4 have driver info. Driver & tools resources here:
    https://www.asus.com/us/support/Download/1/39/7/9/J4TfLoZ8TXyFAkFb/29/ Manuals are PDF for online viewing if you need to. In the OS box, be sure to select Windows 10 64bit.;)

I'm glad you already started to look to asus for a driver. The general rule is to start with package maker first, when the device has incorporated a number of integrated components. While 3rd party driver search/database programs can do well for getting updates for discreet devices, I am always leery of what they report for devices containing integrated features.

So, for now, I'll proceed with continued research. GL on yours.:)

12. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Yea that's the right model but I'm not 100% sure. There's 10 or more different versions of it on their website so not exactly sure which one to get. For instance. They have deluxe, pro, and several others.

I guess I can try the driver any way and hope for the best?

13. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

14. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

I'm trying the driver but when I unzip the file it's a .CAP file.

How do I open those files?

15. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Now I'm really started to get frustrated.

I found a program (Wireshark) to open the CAP file which for some reason is the chipset driver.

Tried opening it and it says that Wireshark can't open it.

Then I go to run the driver for my Intel graphics and I get the error message that my pc doesn't meet minimum requirements so it won't even run!

16. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

17. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

Looks like you're on the right track. At least you found a viewer/opener.

18. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Yea but I can't get anything to install.. So its useless..

19. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

20. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Welp I'm screwed now and don't think there's any coming back from this.

I tried running DDU and told it to reboot into safe mode (with networking) but it just booted into normal safe mode so now I can't use team viewer to access my computer

21. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Crisis averted! Popped the Nvidia card out and the onboard is working like a champ and have all my displays back and everything. HDMI and VGA.

Now I'm doing a clean install of the Nvidia card to see if that works.. will report back afterwards.

22. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

And of course still error 43. Nvidia card still not working.

23. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Go here and decide how you want to download & install the drivers.
    http://www.geforce.com/drivers

If this doesn't work, the problem is with the graphics card.

24. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

I'm glad you tried my suggestion in post#15;) So, did you finally get the Nvidia running, or would you like me to proceed?

25. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Thanks. Still haven't gotten the Nvidia card to work yet.. The on board works but only if I take out the Nvidia.

I Googled around and all kinds of people had my same problem except theirs occurred a year ago. Idk what else to do. I'm all ears and open to suggestions.

26. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

The short term goal is to get the Nvidia card just physically installed without knocking the onboard out. Try this, while on the onboard:
    "If you open 'Advanced System Properties' and check under the 'Hardware' tab you'll find the 'Device Installation Settings' wherein you can choose to not 'automatically download manufacturers' apps'." Then shutdown (poweroff) the computer. Install the Nvidia card. Powerup normally into windows. Does the onboard still work? If not ... I don't know what to do for now.:(If the onboard works at this point ... yay! One small step ... :D

You see, what I am trying to do is to keep windows out of the way and not try to install a driver if it detects the Nvidia card on startup.
    Unfortunatelly, I don't run Win10 and am not familiar with its specific quirks and tweaks. So, its remote learning for me.

Make sure the account you start Windows with has administrative privilege and not the "Administrator" account. You can find help on this (see both faq 26 and 27 a the the bottom) here

Download driver version 373.06 to downloads folder or desktop. While its older than the current version, it seems to be more stable than the several versions released thru latter Oct, Nov, and now Dec. If it works, it can be something for rollback to, when testing later versions. Get it here

Review the Nvidia install guide. Note the Custom install options and the checkbox for a clean install. Also note the "CONTACT US" button at the bottom, where they provide a phone number. Find the guide here

Go to device manager/display adaptor/properties/driver tab and disable driver. Shutdown (poweroff). Powerup into Safe mode with networking, in case you have to use Team Viewer (I hope not). Recheck the Nvidia display is still disabled. Right click on DDU and open with administrator and uninstall all Nvidia. After it finishes shutdown (poweroff). Powerup normally into windows. Enable the Nvidia display adaptor. Right click the 373.06 installer and open with administrator. Choose Custom and Clean Install. Uncheck anything you don't need, e.g.
    experience and 3d. Click Next. After the install choose Restart Later. Shutdown (poweroff). Powerup normally into windows. Check device manger display adaptor for error and driver still enabled, and version 3.7306 If all looks good, shutdown (poweroff). Move HDMI cable to Nvidia port. Power up normally into windows and pray:p If things don't look good in the device manager, it might be time to make that phone call:eek:

Note: I use a lot of shutdowns. Some of comments from others, I read, indicated sometimes configuration changes weren't being maintained with restartso_O

27. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Sorry I have been MIA for a few weeks. Been Holidays and all that.

That option was already set that way from when I've had my PC I rekon. So auto installing updates and drivers was turned off the whole time and I guess it didn't matter as it still hasn't let me use the Nvidia and I think it still installs drivers automatically *shrug

I don't know what else to do.. Guess I can post on Nvidia forums too and see if I can get more help there. Don't really want to be on the phone with someone for 2 days.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds