possibly too much protection

Discussion in 'Software' started by the_artz19, Sep 17, 2009.

1. the_artz19

the_artz19 Private First Class

since i have overdone it with protective programs in the past i thought i would ask a few questions.
    i am running windows vista ultimate right now, along with norton internet security and ad-watch live(for real time/virus/firewall). also i do use spybot, malware bytes, spywareblaster, and advanced care for other scans etc.
    my set up(after lessening the programs used) was a firewall, antivirus and threatfire. i am just basically wondering if anyone can comment to any degree about adwatch live (it is worth it, computer use, etc).
    also was going to ask if anyone has used threat fire 4.6.0.4 beta for 64bit? i am not sure that i care about it being a beta, i realize it would be different for all. however i just was recommended to it in the past, and probably would not have stopped using it if it hadnt taken so long to get a 64bit version.

so i guess, basically... comments on adwatch live and threatfire 64bit, and whats to much protection/the base amount(since i think my computer might have slowed a little, not spyware).

thanks

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

My protection is:
    Avira AntiVir (free)
    Comodo Personal Firewall (free)
    SuperAntiSpyware
    MalwareBytes
    SpywareBlaster
    SpywareGuard
    aSquared Free
    WinPatrol.

3. the_artz19

the_artz19 Private First Class

i see, can anyone else comment to any extent about adaware adwatch live, or threatfire(64bit beta hopefully)?
    and if either of these might be considered better, or even overboard if i run norton internet security(with a side of iobit 360 even, free version, not sure if thats worth much either).
    norton has a low resource setup which is nice, i guess i was just questioning if the other programs might be just wasting my cpu or memory.

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

While I can not comment on the use of the products you ask about since I've never used any of them, I can tell you you should have only one Firewall, one real time Antivirus, and one real time anti Spyware. You can cause your computer to have major issues with more than one of each of those.

What version of Norton are you using? I believe Norton includes all three of those in which case you should not have any other installed on your computer. You can still use some scanning software such as Spybot (with TeaTimer not installed) or Malwarebytes scanner.

Here is a guide you can check out to give you some ideas: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds