posting (adding) web site to desktop

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skysarge, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I want to add a website to desktop.I use Win XPpro

Instructions I find are;

1 Go to your favorite website.
    2 Right click somewhere on the page where it is blank. (no graphic or text)
    3 Select "Create Shortcut" from the menu that pops up.
    4 Click OK to confirm
    5 If you prefer, you can also hold down your left mouse button over the icon that appears to the left of the website address itself and drag it to your desktop. (be sure you make your browser window smaller so you can see both the website and your desktop to do this) *click minimize button next to the r

Read more: How to Add Website Shortcuts To Your Desktop | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2244837_add-website-shortcuts-desktop.html#ixzz1YgvjEHd8

R Click does not bring up a menu with "Create Shortcut"
    I also tried the suggestion of L click on icon next to address in upper left of screen and drag it to desktop.
    How does one "drag" an icon when changing pages? The icon appears on the web site address, but I have to leave than page.

Thanks
    Skysarge:confused

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

1. Right click a blank place on your DESKTOP (not on the webpage)
    2. Select New -> Shortcut
    3. Enter the address of the webpage as the location of the item. (It may be easiest to copy it from the browser, and paste it into this window)
    4. Press 'Next'
    5. Enter a name for the shortcut. This can be whatever will help you remember what the shortcut is for
    6. Press 'Finish'

3. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

It is in place.
    Is there a way to copy the logo onto that shortcut?

Thanks,
    Skysarge

4. oma

oma MajorGeek

Don't use the minimize button but use the one in the middle, next to the red X. That will make the windows smaller and you then can drag the icon to the desktop. No left clicking required.

Mind you I use Firefox and it works fine as per the above.

EDIT: just noticed that you posted. Just ignore my post.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Certainly.

1. Right-click the new icon
    2. Select 'Properties'
    3. On the 'Shortcut Properties' dialog, select 'Change Icon'
    4. Select an icon from the list, or press the 'Browse' button to locate the image (You may need to save the image from your website to your computer, by right-clicking it in your browser, and selecting 'Save Image As')
    5. Press 'OK'
    6. Apply your settings.

6. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I do not get a properties choice, just cut, copy, paste delete....

SSgt

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

This is when you right-click your new shortcut?

You should have these options (at a minimum), and you should not have a paste option in this context:

[​IMG]

If not, I'm afraid you may have a deeper issue.

8. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

OK,
    Misread your original posting. Mia culpa.
    I can get the screen as you show it.

I guess the problem is what I want to use for the icon, is not recognized as an icon. Or at least that is the message when I go to browse, then select the file with the logo want to use.

SSgt

9. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Hmmm.... this one may be my mistake. This may only allow images in the .ico format.

On the bright side, there should be plenty of .ico images on your system, I believe that you fill find a large store of them if you use the 'Select an icon' dialog, and enter %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll into the text field next to the 'Browse' button.

10. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I can see there are many choices, however....
    The webs site I set up for a shortcut on desktop has its own logo, one designed for the group that operates the site.
    It is attached, I hope.
    That is what I want to have for the site shortcut icon.
    Any hope I can convert that to an icon, or fool the computer into reading it as an icon.
    Thanks,
    SSarge

11. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

No attachment I'm afraid, and I can't recommend any conversion programs firsthand, but there are a number available with a Google search.

This one seems to fit the bill:

http://www.prodraw.net/favicon/index.php

Just, err on the side of caution, and be sure to virus scan any file it sends to you. If that comes back clean, you should be in good shape!

12. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

At least I can find some humor here. Every time there is a solution, the solution has another obstacle.
    The "file" (logo) is a word file.
    That program
    (http://www.prodraw.net/favicon/index.php) will not accept that extension.
    I remember somewhere converting files but not sure if that will do what is needed or if I can convert to the format this program accepts.

One solution may be to just find a logo of similar theme and use it. Really do not want to go that way, if possible
    SSarge

13. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

True to form....
    I found a program that converted my word file to jpg format which the Icon generator listed as one it supported.
    Then took the jpg file and uploaded it to the Icon generator. It flickered, it whirred, little arrows chased one another in a circle, "connecting" appeared in the chasing arrows circle and....
    it reset itself.
    Now I guess he next step is to email Peter Pan and see if the Icon is in Never Never Land.

Skysarge

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds